Advice re diagnosis

Mazco

May 17, 2018
I spoke to our cousins gp a couple of weeks ago in the phone. We are very concerned about her memory particularly relating to financial issues. She is being continually scanned by teleprompter callers asking for money for unwanted or non existent services.
We have an appointment to see the gp with her next week under the pretext of checking her out after her recent broken hip. He knows that we will raise her memory issues.
As far as she is concerned her memory is fine, although she does occasionally admit that she gets muddled.
I'm just looking for some advice regarding this visit.
1) What should we expect the gp to do on the day?
2) Should we expect him to instigate any tests after that appointment?
3) Is there anything in particular that we should push for if he doesn't offer?
4) Anything else we should be considering?

Mazco

May 17, 2018
As some GP's won't talk to a relative due to patient confidentiality it's a good idea to make a list of all suspected symptoms as they will listen/read.
As to diagnosis in general, there is a very good AS Factsheet about this that can be found by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...nloads/factsheet_assessment_and_diagnosis.pdf

Good luck.
Thanks for the link. That is really helpful.
The GP was happy to talk to me on the phone so I'm sure he will allow me to be involved in the conversation. The only slight concern is that she won't want me to come in with her. Hopefully that will work out though.

Pacucho

I see you have already received good advice on what to expect. As regards anything else you need to consider there is one issue not covered by the guidance.
It will not be easy to speak to the GP about your concerns regarding your cousin if she does not agree with them, as you have already mentioned. When it comes to dementia this is common. You do not want to be in a position whereby your relationship with your cousin is detrimentally affected in any way. For example, I quickly learnt I could not speak about my concerns regarding my mum's state of mind in front of her. Therefore, it is good you have already raised your concerns with the GP, and it may be wise to seek to have a conversation with your cousin's GP reminding of your concerns say just before your cousin comes into the room. In that way the GP can make an assessment taking account of your information without having to refer to you in the presence of your cousin.
Finally, please note your cousin's GP may not appreciate the importance of understanding this and you may need to educate him/her.
Hope this helps,

Paco

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The only slight concern is that she won't want me to come in with her.
I would just assume its OK and go in with her, rather than asking her.
If you dont, her GP probably wont be able to tell you what was said and your mum may not (probably wont) remember accurately.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Difficult situation.

One of the challenges for the GP will be whether she has dementia or Mild Cognitive Impairment(MCI) - basically some memory loss.

The difference is that in dementia there is an impact on her managing activities of daily living. Currently, this does not seem to be the case here.

Often the GP will make a diagnosis after a few interactions, unless it is very obvious. In her case I would suspect she will perform at peak on the day and seem to be managing very well!

The first stage is to highlight the concern and see if the GP thinks referral to the Memory Clinic is appropriate. Even with a diagnosis, the only options may be conservative.

Support organisations are crucial and getting in contact with your nearest Alzheimer's Society or Age UK will probably bring more practical benefit.

Agree with the above notes, many people will be offended and upset if suggested that they have dementia. Be very cautious with expressing the concerns.

In truth there is very little the GP can offer more than signposting.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the link. That is really helpful.
The GP was happy to talk to me on the phone so I'm sure he will allow me to be involved in the conversation. The only slight concern is that she won't want me to come in with her. Hopefully that will work out though.

Don't ask her just go in with her. Sometimes you just have to present the situation as almost along the lines of you being in charge. With my MIL my husband wrote a list of his concerns in advance to the GP. We were lucky in that the GP did a home visit with the community matron and OT without us there making it look like a normal check up. Then a home visit from the memory clinic followed. But as others have said the total denial of a problem is very common. My MIL refuses to accept the diagnosis simply saying the doctors have made a mistake. Makes for a very difficult situation with the lack of insight and cooperation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5