Message Number 01

smileyman

Oct 31, 2005
North Yorkshire
Hello, This is my first message, how does one begin? I suppose the question answers itself and that is at he beginning.
My wife of 50 years was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January 2002. Since then it has been a very difficult road of learning but with the help of our local North Yorkshire Medical Services we have made it this far. Up until a year ago living was normal in as much, we still continued to live as we had done in 2002. Smileywoman had memory problems but this did not affect our normal living, walking with friends and all those other social activities the retired elderly do.
About April 2007 Smileywoman developed problems with her balance caused by dizziness. Over the year there have been brain scans and an MRI scan, nothing was found. Our ENT Consultant who recommended extensive balancing checks at the York University Balancing Centre found nothing that could be attributed to the dizziness or loss of balance. The medical staff at the Mental Health Unit we attend tell me they have had no experience nor can they associate these symptoms with dementia.
Does any member of Talking Point reading this have these problems? If so have you found a solution? Drawing on real-life examples and your user friendly, tried and tested methods may solve our problem.
Maybe I can offer members what I have found one of the most useful books I have ever read. I wish that it had been published four years ago it would have certainly have made our lives easier. "Contented Dementia ' by Oliver James. Vermilion Books. ISBN 978 0 09 190180 6.
This is a new publication and for those newly diagnosed or a new carer it is in my view an essential read. I quote: 'Dementia is an illnes that will touch every family to some degree. The groundbreaking method espoused by 'Contented Dementia' helps take away the fear so often associated with it and Alzheimer's disease and offers practical solutions for all those afflicted and support and understanding for their families.'
Thank you. Smileyman.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Smileyman
welcome to talking point,I am sure that you will find lots of help here.
I was my wife's carer for 13 years until she died last july.
I cannot recall any dizzy spells,I think we went through every other problem.
She did have focusing problems and this caused some problems.
Some one else may have experienced the problem that you describe.
Keep in touch
Norman

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
Hi

My Mum was only diagnosed in August 2008 and her symtoms started with delusions within the last 3 months she has experienced mobility problems and has to sit down frequently due to coming over with dizziness and feeling funny as she puts it. Again no answers as to what is causing it. I wonder whether its the medication or perhaps the fact she doesn't eat very much and is actually feeling light headed. As her short term memory is already bad, she can't always accurately describe what she feels so we can never be really sure.

Lanie

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Has she been checked for low blood pressure? That's a classic cause of dizziness. My mother had high blood pressure, but for some reason every so often, her blood pressure would drop to a very low level: at one point she was hospitalized because of it. The determination (or in fact diagnosis of exclusion) was that it "probably" was due to dehydration which resulted in a build up in her hypertension medication. I didn't feel a lot of confidence in that diagnosis because it was hedged about with "possibly" and "probably" but I offer it for what it's worth.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Smileyman

It was unclear to me whether the dizzy spells have been associated with Alzheimers. I was wondering whether it could be unconnected and thought perhaps your wife might have something like labrynthitis. I do know that labrynthitis can affect people in varying degrees of severity and longevity.

Hoping that your wife finds some relief from whatever it is that is causing this problem.

Love and best wishes

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
About April 2007 Smileywoman developed problems with her balance caused by dizziness

My mother uses to get very dizzy was told it was down to dehydration, after checking all her dietetic was under control.

A urine test can rule out dehydration or has that been done already ?

As people with dementia can forget to drink enough water.

(Sorry did not read your post Jeniffer about dehydration)

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Smileyman

I may be stating the obvious seeing your wife has been checked so thoroughly at the York University Balancing Centre but have Vertigo or Meniere`s been ruled out?

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello Smileyman

Vertigo.
If Ron (my hubby( bend's his head in a certain way, or get's up quickly (for him) he goes dizzy. I have been told that this is due to the main vein in his neck trapping the blood flow to his brain.
Just a suggestion.
Hope it help's.
Barb & Ron

crazyjude

Nov 30, 2007
Yorkshire UK
Hia Smileyman. My Dad has suffered from dizzy spells for about a year now and has had several falls due to it. His medication is under review because his B.P is too low. He eats and drinks very little, underlining Jennifer's comment about dehydration and dosage. I reckon its a combination of the disease itself and medication side effects.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just an after thought .

As Sylvia quoted about what you said
York University Balancing Centre

so am wondering did University Balancing Center say anything about spatial awareness damage can effect the balance of someone with dementia

Or did they say anything about spatial awareness?

As when my mother spatial awareness started going, mum feels like she on a roller coaster on buses ,n
cars, that when she try to walk she think she going to fall can't get her balance , but does after a while .

also happen when sitting down a lot then try to get up , also in the morning getting up from bed

Last edited:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Smileyman

My Mum suffered dizzy spells when confronted with situations she wasn't sure she could handle.

She insisted that she was going to the bank and didn't need any help, so when I would drop her at the bank, etc. she had a dizzy spell.

Panic attack????? Acting to cover the fact she couldn't cope????????? or genuine????? I don't know, but I did notice that when confronted with a situation she couldn't handle, Mum had a dizzy spell.

I am not suggesting that your loved one is faking (Even now I don't know if my Mum was) just that it is something to be aware of. Maybe stress?

Take care
Alfjess

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Probably a stupid question, but if it isn't due to low blood pressure, mild seizures or medication...has anyone checked her inner ear?
My mother suffererd from dizziness for quite an extensive time after she fell from a horse, the doctor suspected that the jolt had somehow dislodged something in her inner ear - the inner ear is responsible for a lot of our balance.
And just recently I had an inner ear infection, although I didn't realise it, no pain, the only thing I can think of is that might have been an initial symptom was that I was annoyed each night when I went to bed because I felt like I hadn't dried my ears properly after my shower. Anyways after about a week of this, I woke up in the middle of the night and rolled over and suddenly the whole room began to spin so much so that I yelled and grabbed hold of the bed. I wasn't dizzy constantly, it would come mainly when I rolled over but also for the first few days when I was walking around it felt like I was on a boat and nothing would sit still for me.
Even now two months later, every now and then I lose my balance.
As I said probably something that the doctors have already checked, and usually if it is from an ear infection that clears up it goes away. I just thought that maybe such an infection or even a dislodgement of any little bones in her ear (like what happened to my mother and which causes the problem to last much longer) combined with dementia, may have an ongoing effect like the one you describe.
Some possibly helpful links:
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525141210AA5lOc9
http://www.bionicear.org/oto/dizzinessandbalancedisorders.pdf
http://www.med.umn.edu/otol/library/dizzines.htm
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Last edited:

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey
Hi Smilyman

I recently had a very severe dizzy spell to such an extent that I could not stand and ended up in A&E and because of the dizzyness I was also sick every time I moved so had to crawl around or stay still to alleviate the symptoms. To cut a long story short after a short stay in hospital and every conceival test they decided that it was an ulcer in the oesophagus causing internal bleeding which I thought was nonsense but was assured by both hospital doctor and my GP it was probably the cause of the problem rather than my thought that it was labrinthitis.

Among the many tests your wife has had has she by any chance had a gastroscopy ?

Merlin

smileyman

Oct 31, 2005
North Yorkshire
Hi Smileyman
welcome to talking point,I am sure that you will find lots of help here.
I was my wife's carer for 13 years until she died last july.
I cannot recall any dizzy spells,I think we went through every other problem.
She did have focusing problems and this caused some problems.
Some one else may have experienced the problem that you describe.
Keep in touch
Norman

Hi Norman, Many thanks for your reply. Gosh 13 years! I have only completed 6 years and I already feel drained. I received a lot of replies in answer to our problem. This gave me a tremendous uplift so delighted I joined Talking Point.
Thanks again.
Smileyman

smileyman

Oct 31, 2005
North Yorkshire
Hi

My Mum was only diagnosed in August 2008 and her symtoms started with delusions within the last 3 months she has experienced mobility problems and has to sit down frequently due to coming over with dizziness and feeling funny as she puts it. Again no answers as to what is causing it. I wonder whether its the medication or perhaps the fact she doesn't eat very much and is actually feeling light headed. As her short term memory is already bad, she can't always accurately describe what she feels so we can never be really sure.

Lanie

Lanie Hi. Many thanks for your reply. I received a lot of replies in answer to our problem. This gave me a tremendous uplift so delighted I joined Talking Point.
Thanks again. If we do come up with a solution I will put this on the www.TP.
Smileyman

smileyman

Oct 31, 2005
North Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Has she been checked for low blood pressure? That's a classic cause of dizziness. My mother had high blood pressure, but for some reason every so often, her blood pressure would drop to a very low level: at one point she was hospitalized because of it. The determination (or in fact diagnosis of exclusion) was that it "probably" was due to dehydration which resulted in a build up in her hypertension medication. I didn't feel a lot of confidence in that diagnosis because it was hedged about with "possibly" and "probably" but I offer it for what it's worth.

Hi Jenniferpa, Many thanks for your reply. I received a lot of replies in answer to our problem. This gave me a tremendous uplift so delighted I joined Talking Point. Her BP is normal and there is no dehydration. Unfortunately over this period we have come acrossa lot of medical 'possibity' and 'probability' and we are still working in the dark.
You never stop looking.
Many thanks.
Smileyman

aceblytons

Sep 2, 2007
Wigan
dizziness

My husband suffers from vascular dementia and suffers from dizzy spells a lot,he also suffers from panic attacks if he is put in a stressfull situation.
he is now clenching his fist a lot,i don't understand why he does this its as though he is holding something he dos'nt want to let go.i don't understand why he does it.
i would welcome any replies.
Icome on tp every night and i always find that somebody else
is going through the same problems ,and by reading the messages it helps me a lot.
I didn't mention that he also has low blood pressure, is also on weekly check ups by gp,they have to keep altering medication.

aceblytons

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello aceblytons

It might be the low blood pressure that causes the dizzy spells. It used to happen to me when my blood pressure was low.

Clenching his fists might be another sign of stress or anxiety, as are the panic attacks. Have you consulted your husband`s doctor? There might be some medication available to help ease his anxiety.

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Clenching fists

I'm not up to speed with how vascular dementia works, but if it isn't stress related it could also be a Parkinsonian type symptom, even though he doesn't have Parkinson's. As Parkinson's also is due to brain problems, sometimes if there is damage to the same area of the brain that causes Parkinson's, similar symptoms can appear, and that's not necessarily the classic Parkison's symptom shaking either. Dad has certain muscles in his body that are always clenched, including his left hand. These days I can't even straighten his fingers if I try. The good news is, it doesn't seem to bother him?? I always think that if my muscles were constantly clenched like that all day, I'd be exhausted, but again, he doesn't seem to notice. And to reassure you the symptoms haven't over 4yrs changed or worsened, there are just parts of his body that stay constantly clenched. It if from Doctor's assessments that I refer to it as Parkinson's type symptoms because this is how they explained it to us.
Oh and I just thought of another thing, Dad used to constantly grind his teeth, another clenching action but this time the jaw is doing the clenching. This symptom did appear to possibly be related to stress (both good and bad stresses) as he would do it more when he was watching things, or surrounded by noise.
Hope that helps?

P.S. Something that might be related, I remember coming into Dad's bedroom at the home sometimes and he'd be fast asleep yet have one arm completely vertical!!!!?? Again related to muscles doing their own thing, being engaged despite the dementia sufferer being completely relaxed at the same time. Weird stuff.

Last edited: