Agitation and refusal to do things e.g. eat, go to the toilet

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
How do people deal with agitation and refusal to do basic things like eat or go to the toilet? Mum's just suddenly become more agitated, agressive, swearing and stubbon.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
How do people deal with agitation and refusal to do basic things like eat or go to the toilet? Mum's just suddenly become more agitated, agressive, swearing and stubbon.
Can you tell us a little more about your mum? does she live with you, has anything else changed? At my OH nursing home which I visit every day, I see a lot of this sudden change and it often subsides, returns, subsides. The nurses often leave it for a while, then try again and it's suddenly different.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If your mum has suddenly become more agitated and confused this could indicate an infection of some sort - usually a urine infection (UTI). Can you make sure that she has a urine sample checked.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Barring infections or a change in medication, once one comes to terms with the fact that you cannot reason or argue with dementia, then it is possible to make things easier for both parties. , Mood swings, depression, pain, fear, and all manner of factors contribute to 'behaviour'. Try not to coerce in any way, rather coax and enable things to happen in a calm environment - even when the love one presents with agitation or aggression - maintain calm and maintain calm in the way you move, i.e. body language. This might seem odd, but it is nevertheless a fact of life in dementia world. Depending on the stage of a dementia and its type, there are some ongoing features which one sees daily in the Care Home. Refusal to eat with agitation and at times a degree of aggression, usually warrants a gentle retreat and then trying again later on. Often this is quite pronounced, in as much as, say an hour later and the aggression and reluctance have been completely forgotten. If you can gently distract, either in conversing or in an action, i.e. simply offer a tit-bit or cup of tea, in a natural way, this can often help. But as each case is different (another fundamental truth) you have to be aware of the person in the whole - likes, dislikes, habits, routines etc and bear all of that in mind despite the dementia having compromised all of that. In the Care Home, where there are of course enough staff to share duties and care, the same principles apply In dementia, cognition has changed and in such a way as to make what is a 'normal' approach or response, 'abnormal' to the receiver, the one with dementia. Yet, a smile, a calm voice, a soft touch of a hand, all of this can effect positive response. There are practical outcomes found here on TP, whereby those caring have found a way.forward by sheer force of ongoing and loving care. But I think all of those people, probably without question, will corroborate the reality of just how difficult and frustrating this can be in practice. But it is not hopeless, far from it. Just not easy.

Zuzu72

Mar 19, 2015
Excluding infections & possibly constipation (tummy ache). I would suggest offering food like cake or biscuits & when she refuses just leave them on the table beside her, if she's really aggresive don't leave food or drink that can stain the carpet (my mum is end stage vascular & has a good throwing arm). 're the toilet, if she's mobile wait until she tries to get up to go (let her give you the cue), if you ask her, she may think she's already been, or if she doesn't realise she has dementia, she may just want her independence. Good luck with it.

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Hi thanks for the replied, we did rule out a urine infection but can any kind of infection make a person with dementia agressive and agitated? Mum was put on another course of antibiotics again so I'm guessing that with boredom and dad is probably the cause. I live away from home so only go in for a few hours a day.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband had a head cold a few weeks ago and his whole being was affected as if the infection was much more serious. It would seem that with dementia any kind of infection can start a chain reaction of problems. He is over it now but is having a few incontinence issues which were not there before. Hopefully it will pass.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Yes, any underlying medical problem or other issue can cause the behavior changes in a person with dementia: infection, dehydration, constipation, a cold, a medication interaction or reaction, a blood pressure issue, the list goes on, but you get the idea. In a non vascular dementia patient, a sudden change is almost always NOT the dementia. It can't hurt to get things checked out. I hope things improve for you. Best wishes.

Putford

Oct 15, 2017
Has your mother had a drink (alcohol) because it could have a massive affect on her medication, just a thought but that's what happened to my mum, she's a nightmare most of the time but worse if she sneaks in some booze.....

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum has had Alzheimers now 5-6yrs. She has been in a care home comng up 2 yrs.
When at home, whenever Mum got constipated or a UTI, she became agitated and more confused.
At her care home, constipation still causes agitation, a UTI causes agitation, anxiety, agression and confusion.
Care Staff know Mum by now to recognise instant changes and will more than likley signal a UTI.
Unfortunately when Mum does get a UTI, she spirals down quickly with eating, sleeping and hydration, and despite antibiotics, develops delirium. She never quite recovers to her previous seld, and we always notice a new behaviour or cognitive decline that wasnt there before.