Solving the issue of using a full hoist on carpet

Josephine1

Jan 5, 2016
Hi,
My Dad has advanced dementia and due to mobility issues we need to start using a full hoist. One of the live in carers we have is concerned about using it on the carpet in his room as in her experience it will be hard to push the hoist. I'm reluctant to pull up the carpet and put lino down due to the cost as the carpet is fairly new.

I wonder if anyone has tried other solutions such as hard plastic mats on top of the carpet? I've had a look online and seen a couple of types but wonder if they will help for something as heavy as a full hoist? Can anyone recommend a particular type?

Thanks,
Jo

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hi,
My Dad has advanced dementia and due to mobility issues we need to start using a full hoist. One of the live in carers we have is concerned about using it on the carpet in his room as in her experience it will be hard to push the hoist. I'm reluctant to pull up the carpet and put lino down due to the cost as the carpet is fairly new.

I wonder if anyone has tried other solutions such as hard plastic mats on top of the carpet? I've had a look online and seen a couple of types but wonder if they will help for something as heavy as a full hoist? Can anyone recommend a particular type?

Thanks,
Jo
The Care Home where I work has fitted carpet (no pile) and use the sling hoist (always with 2 people) safely and efficiently. Safety first is a priority, but you might consult the hoist manufacturers for specific advice?

Pacucho

Hi Jo,

I cared for my late mum at home and we had to use a hoist. We never had a problem using a hoist on a carpet, but a hoist should be used by 2 people and not a single carer on her own. Provided this is done and the carpet and the underlay is in good condition I do not see a problem.
Hope this helps,

paco

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The amount of difficulty depends on the pile of the carpet. door threshold strips can also cause difficulty.
As has been said using the hoist is a two (trained) person job.