Dads Oncology appointment

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad had his stent fitted on Tuesday and his oncology appointment yesterday. Well done NHS once they get moving they really do get moving. It's getting in the system in the first place that is difficult.

Anyway lovely Oncology doctor said that dad was not suitable for chemo as chemo and dementia don't mix well, she also said that it could make him very ill and that would be detrimental to his condition. On a positive note they may offer him a week of palliative radiotherapy but not until his symptoms worsen as it would be more beneficial then. This was exactly what I expected to hear. We are to go back in two months for a review.

The stent has made a huge difference and dad is already eating small meals which is a relief. We have no idea how much time we are looking at but as long as dad is happy and in no pain then it is all a bonus.

Dad was tired last night and went to bed at 10.30 he seemed to be worried that I might forget to turn of the lights. About 20 minutes later I was working quietly on my laptop and the TV was off so all was quiet then out of the corner of my eye I saw a hand come round the door followed by dad's face. It gave me a bit of a start as he had appeared so quietly. I said 'what are you doing dad' he said 'I thought you had forgotten to turn the light off'' I just said 'No dad, go back to bed' and he did. Thing is he was completely starkers and hiding behind the glass panelled door. I can see the funny side of it but dad would have been mortified if he had realised. I went to bed very soon after that.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
How do you feel about the outcome of your dad's appointment? It sounds like the oncologist has some experience of treating people who have dementia.

I am so pleased the stent has helped a lot.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
How do you feel about the outcome of your dad's appointment? It sounds like the oncologist has some experience of treating people who have dementia.

I am so pleased the stent has helped a lot.

@Soobee I am ok with it. It is what I expected. I had googled it beforehand and the treatment for Oesophageal cancer is pretty aggressive with weeks of chemo followed by surgery. Dad is 88 very frail and his dementia is worsening. The doctor said that now he is able to eat and is still relatively healthy otherwise it would not benefit him to undergo chemo and I can see that.

Even though dad has dementia he is really no trouble. He is kind, thoughtful and pleasant and to be honest I would prefer to keep him that way as long as possible. He is very compliant and would do whatever I asked him but we both agreed that the doctor knows best. He has forgotten about it now and is quiet happy especially as Chelsea beat Man U and won the cup today.

I think shorter quality time is better than making dad ill with treatment that will not cure him anyway.