Paid Job Seeker

Martyn's

Dec 16, 2015
Ashford Kent
I was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s back in October 2015 , since then I have lost my job lost my driving licence and have moved to be closer to my family for which I am happy . I am widowed but am content with my situation so far except, I need a job as the government have cut my esa because I have a small pension I think I can understand this . I don’t smoke drink or have sky but find myself struggling to financially survive by the time I have paid all bills as everyone does , so I suppose my question is does anyone know of any company organisation that employees people with Dementia, o by the way I am upbeat and happy
Martyn

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I can't help with any suggestions for employment, have you checked with CAB or AgeUK that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.
For instance I think it is possible to receive both ESA (based on capability to work) and PIP ( based on difficulty doing things in daily life).

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You certainly should be getting PIP, which you can get whether you are working or not.
I have used Citizens Advice to help OH and me fill in forms and I have found them helpful. The forms arnt easy to fill in and they know how to phrase things properly. They also added things that I would not have thought of.

They will certainly know if there are other things that you are eligible for.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you live alone you should be getting a 25% discount on council tax.
If you were entitled to PIP you should also be able to be awarded SMI (Severe Mental Impairment) which would mean you are disregard for council tax purposes and would no pay any.

SMI is not as bad as it sounds, a doctor signs '...has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning, howsoever caused, which appears to be permanent.'

As an example not being able to join in fast moving conversations is a severe impairment of social functioning. You could even argue that being banned from driving is a severe impairment of social functioning.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Last edited:

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I am in a similar situation to you in many ways.
I had to give up my license and because of this I was eligible for a bus pass which has given me some freedom.
I get pip. Hopefully you will get an assessor as good as mine at the last assessment, where I got enhanced both things. She also asked the DWP to contact my GP as she believed I should have a bus pass with companion as I easily get lost these days
John

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
We met with the CAB today & found them very helpful. I had to leave my job last July as I was really struggling with everything & originally I applied for ESA which I was awarded for just 2mths. Since then I’ve been on jobseekers even though I don’t feel I could learn a new task or cope with meeting new people etc.
After my diagnosis a few weeks ago everything makes sense & I can appreciate why I was struggling so much at work. So my husband came with me to take notes & help with the questions & we’ve been told they will help us with appeal the decision & if it goes through it will be backdated to Nov ‘17.
Even though my husband thankfully earns s decent wage we rent our property which isn’t cheap & have lost 900£ a month since I left my job. The last thing we need right now is financial stress on top of my diagnosis of FTD :)
We can’t thank CAB enough just for thier advice & support this eve!