Has started limping when walking

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
my husband diagnosed over 4 years ago with Alzheimer’s has recently started limping when walking. He says he is not in pain. Could this be a progression of the disease? I would be interested to know if anyone has encountered this

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You need to get him checked out. Answers of yes or no cannot be trusted in people with dementia.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
You need to get him checked out. Answers of yes or no cannot be trusted in people with dementia.
I have to see the GP for myself on Thursday so will mention it to her. I just wondered meanwhile if anyone else had it happen and whether it was anything to be seen to as a matter of urgency. Thank you

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I would definitely get him checked out, starting with his feet, especially toenails, and shoes, and working your way up from there. It may be a physical problem (an injured foot or ankle, arthritis), it may be environmental (his socks or shoes may be bothering him), it may be the dementia changing his gait, but I would look into it. The limp would seem to indicate a problem, whether or not he can tell you specifically what is going on.

Many people with dementia cannot accurately report pain or discomfort, just as they can't accurately report other things, for a variety of reasons. Maybe their brains aren't sending or receiving information, maybe their language (receptive and/or expressive) is impaired, maybe both, it is hard to say. If there is memory impairment then they may not recall a fall or injury. There are ways to assess pain in a person who can't verbalise it.

I hope you are able to figure out what is causing this. Please do keep us posted and best wishes.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
I would definitely get him checked out, starting with his feet, especially toenails, and shoes, and working your way up from there. It may be a physical problem (an injured foot or ankle, arthritis), it may be environmental (his socks or shoes may be bothering him), it may be the dementia changing his gait, but I would look into it. The limp would seem to indicate a problem, whether or not he can tell you specifically what is going on.

Many people with dementia cannot accurately report pain or discomfort, just as they can't accurately report other things, for a variety of reasons. Maybe their brains aren't sending or receiving information, maybe their language (receptive and/or expressive) is impaired, maybe both, it is hard to say. If there is memory impairment then they may not recall a fall or injury. There are ways to assess pain in a person who can't verbalise it.

I hope you are able to figure out what is causing this. Please do keep us posted and best wishes.
Thank you. I will definitely have it checked out. I sorted his toenails out last week and he has soft leather comfy shoes so it is a mystery.

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
My OH has also started limping and walking much more slowly in the last month or so. He has always had a 'bad knee' but says it doesn't hurt. He has not ever been slow to complain of this before!!! I wonder if he is not 'seeing' very well. He has taken to peering at the tv closely and I am trying to work out if he can't see or if his brain is not processing the info. Will be talking to doc about this soon.
Has anyone had experience of eye tests ? I can't see how he can do a standard one as he'll just say yes to everything

Taximan

Mar 31, 2015
my husband diagnosed over 4 years ago with Alzheimer’s has recently started limping when walking. He says he is not in pain. Could this be a progression of the disease? I would be interested to know if anyone has encountered this
I doubt it,much more likely to be arthritis,or aggravated a hip or leg problem.My wife had the same problem,and an xray of both knees and hips showed osteoarthritis.

Taximan

Mar 31, 2015
My OH has also started limping and walking much more slowly in the last month or so. He has always had a 'bad knee' but says it doesn't hurt. He has not ever been slow to complain of this before!!! I wonder if he is not 'seeing' very well. He has taken to peering at the tv closely and I am trying to work out if he can't see or if his brain is not processing the info. Will be talking to doc about this soon.
Has anyone had experience of eye tests ? I can't see how he can do a standard one as he'll just say yes to everything
My wife is no longer able to cope with eye tests,instead they just examine the health of the eye.She no longer uses her glasses,but i know she can read,as she very rarely reads something off the TV headlines.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've often wondered about eye tests myself but I've been told by an optician that they have the apparatus to check without needing verbal info from a patient - makes you wonder why they go through all that "is it better like this - or like this?" Maybe it's still more accurate but John has had regular annual eye tests for years by an optician visiting the Day Centre - they must have figured it out somehow.

As for the limping - could it be osteoarthritis?