Advice please re Social Services financial assessment

JulesLK

May 22, 2007
Yorkshire
Hello

I would be grateful for some advice regarding a forthcoming Social Services financial assessment for my dad's care fees.

My darling mum died only 2 weeks ago and when she became ill, we organised respite care for my dad. This has now become permanent and after 8 weeks of no contact/support from Social Services, they have rung to say they are coming out Friday to do a financial assessment.

Since my mum's death I have been paying funeral expenses and clearing bills out of my savings as it was just easier and intend to withdraw money from what was their joint bank account to replace these. (I have an enduring power of attorny for my dad and am the executor of my mother's estate). But I have been told that Social Services will question this and demand full receipts/paperwork, which I just haven't got.

On top of the loss of my mum and concern for my dad, this is thing with SS is really getting to me. Why is everything so difficult?

Jules

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
I would get the money out before Friday. Then get a balance report from the Bank or Cashpoint to give to social services. My only concern would be that the Bank may freeze the account, as it's a joint one, because of you mothers sad death. But in any case I don't think that they can have any recourse to what was your mothers half of the account until after probate and depending on what was in her will.

Our assessment was for non-residentail charges but the same department of social services does the assessment. The guy that came to assess my husband was very helpful and understanding especially considering I was sobbing at one point. BUT don't expect them to know everything, they simply follow the rule book and if you in anyway deviate from that there may be problems. In our case he refused to make any allowance for the fact that John has dependant children.

This is a link to the Government website on residential charging

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/SocialCare/Chargingandassessment/ChargingforSocialCare/DH_079505

What ever happens don't forget that you can challenge the findings.

I would also suggest contacting the Alzheimers Society as they may be able to give more detailed advice.

Jackie

Last edited:

JulesLK

May 22, 2007
Yorkshire
Thanks Jackie

I took my mum's will and death certificate into the bank last week and they have already written to inform me that they have removed her name from the account and made my dad the sole account holder. I already have the enduring power of attorny lodged with them for my dad ... believe it or not they have been really helpful, which is more than can be said for some other organisations !

But I will take your advice and call in tomorrow and get enough to cover what I have already drawn out of my savings, then on Thursday afternoon get a balance to give SS.

Kind regards
Jules

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jules

I'm not an expert, so please take advice from the AS legal helpline.

But as I understand it (from dealing with my parents' wills), funeral expenses and outstanding bills should be paid out of your mum's estate, so should not concern SS.

If your mum left eveything to your dad, that would be the balance after expenses, and would be included in your dad's savings for the assessment.

If you are lucky, and your mum left her money and share of the property to you, SS shaould have no claim on it.

Please let us know how you get on, there will be others in your position.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Jules, don't get too worked up. In my experience the Social Services lot are kind and understanding. It is safer, however, if you have removed the expenses you have incurred from the bank account before they arrive. Just to be on the safe side. Makes things easier.

Hope it all goes well. Write down everything they tell you and get them to sign it in case anything goes wrong. Sorry, past bad experience has made me cautious.

Love

Margaret

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
Hi Why do you have to show bank details to Social Services. I can understand them wanting details of income etc. but I would not be showing them savings details.

If they need to know if your parent has less or more than a certain amount then they should take your word for it as you have POA.

When my dad went into care from hospital I was asked by Social Services if my dad had more than £20.000. I wasn't asked to prove it, neither would I have done so.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As to your question Marianne - because that's what the guidelines say - that savings are taken into account. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is. Obviously if you're not expecting help from social services you can refuse to supply any info, but if you want money from them you have to expect to be forthcoming.