Can I ... Should I?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I wouldn’t worry too much about bingo not being mums fav entertainment now

My mother detested bingo... until she went into her charity not for profit home and really enjoyed playing

Mums care home was excellent. Mum was self funded, and we were told at the start that some of her fees covered LA funded people and once mum had been with them 3 years, this would be reflected in her costs if she was still self funding and if not, she would not be kicked out and we wouldn’t be asked to pay top ups.

It’s since had a head office management change, so not sure if it still applies to residents that are self funded, but it thankfully it worked for us

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
My Mum also detested bingo for most of her life (not sure she had ever actually tried it, but that is a different issue). She hated the fact that outsiders came to play bingo in the communal lounge etc. One day one of the visitors said to me 'Your Mum loves her bingo, doesn't she?' and I nearly passed out from surprise!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
My mother also derided bingo as well as all the other activities on offer, and all the people who played. And guess what? She goes to all of them and loves them. I didn't believe it, either, as she had always been so vehement about it, so I went and observed one day, from where she couldn't see me. She was having a grand time. (Until she saw me; then she wanted to leave. I stayed away from activities after that.)

You just don't know. I would never have believed how good the care home has been for my mother. I hate this disease that has robbed her of herself and forced her to be there, but it's so much better than when she was at home.

Sam, have hope for day care and bingo!

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
All I’ve found so far @Amethyst59 have been clubs Mum walked out of. The dreaded Bingo being their go to entertainment. While she was being reasonable, I couid cope. Now she’s not. I need her to go out so I can get some peace. I’m going to look for other things.

This place looks ok, there is a quiet lounge, so she can sit & read or chat, if she doesn’t want to join in the activities in the other lounge. I suspect lunch is the big draw for her lol. She’s worse than a teenager for how much she wants to eat lol

I have pre warned my holiday friends I’m going to sleep. At least it should be in the sun by a pool o_O I arrive about 6 hours before them, so they may have to rouse me from snoring lol

At least this morning has started off with relative calm ;)
Good :D then you will be refreshed, they maybe the ones snoring near you x

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @2jays

I tried Bingo once, couldn’t work it out, didn’t understand the lingo. I don’t think Mum has ever tried it, but I’d guess her dislike is not understanding what “two fat ladies” means. We both dislike showing ignorance. I just laugh at myself, getting it in first, Mum doesn’t. I’m pretty sure that if she made a friend, who showed her without making her feel dumb, she’d be ok. But, she’d probably see it as gambling & she absolutely hates any form of gambling. Who knows what the future brings. She may develop a taste for it one day.

The place seems nice enough. The staff were friendly. It’s just a few afternoons a week. I’ve said I’d like her to go while I’m away, she’ll get lunch & company. So far that’s not getting a screaming reaction. But, she is looking a bit scared & is a bit tearful. I guess it’s change & she’s losing control.

Mum started on about cancelling the care again this morning. I put my foot down hard. They are going to continue. She tried everything, but I wasn’t budging. Told her I need the help. She has an assessment with the new provider next week. Seems the 6 week package has been extended till something is in place at no cost! I was relieved at not getting an extortionate bill, but really surprised & a bit touched too. Guess they realised I need them to do something.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’d be happy to hear Mum liked anything I arranged for her @Slugsta, right now she seems pretty determined to hate it all. Followed by lost little girl & tearful

I’m doing a lot of gentle teasing & reassuring

It’s like the last few weeks of angst never happened. Well, not to her mind anyway. I’m back to calming her down & making her laugh. It’s so strange

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Sam, have hope for day care and bingo!

Hi @Amy in the US

Oh, I have hope, crossed fingers, toes & eyes that the day centre will prove a winner. I don’t care if she plays Bingo or snakes & ladders, I just want her to try. I want her to talk to someone other than me. I want her to have a little peace & maybe, just maybe, make a friend. I know she’s lonely, I know she’s her own worst enemy, always been the same, but I hope this will be a chance to be a bit social.

I’m trying not to think too far ahead, to time off & space for me. I don’t want to jinx it lol

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Noooooo, don't waste the honey rum! :D

Yes, Mum also hated gambling of any sort, wouldn't even buy a raffle ticket! However, I guess the dementia meant that she forgot some of that. The first time she went to DC, she hated it and swore she would never go again. I reminded her that she had promised to give it a proper trial and, thankfully, she had enough rational thought left to agree to give it another go. She really enjoyed it after the first couple of times.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Mum agreed to go to the “lunch club” @Slugsta but as soon as Bingo came in, she hot footed it out. I managed to get her to go a few times, but she kept leaving or refusing to answer the door to the minibus

Things have moved on a lot since then. Fingers crossed it works this time

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well. Here I am. Back at the hospital. Mums had a fall, tripped on her dressing gown, poss broken wrist
Don’t you just love A&E
More later

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Well. Here I am. Back at the hospital. Mums had a fall, tripped on her dressing gown, poss broken wrist
Don’t you just love A&E
More later

NOOOOO !

Bit excessive of her so to get out of Day club don’t you think?

Oh Sam. Hopefully it’s “just” a sprain. Got everything crossed xxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You don’t think I’m going to let her off lunch club just coz of a sore wrist do you @2jays
Now waiting on x-ray

Never crossed my mind, but it might have hers.....

Hopefully extant done soon and not too long before you back home

Extant?? What’s dat mean?? I meant X-ray!!

I googled, as you do..... extant = still in existence, surviving.... hopefully you are xxx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
A fall was going to happen as she is refusing zimmer or stick ... just a matter of time
She’s fractured her wrist. Needs it realigning then plaster
I’m so tired. Could go sleep in the car, but we are 3rd in line to see the doc
Hope it’s not the eejit we saw in Jan who said mums stroke was a UTI!!!
Mums sleeping, wish I was
Brother told me to tell mum “she’s a blooming idiot”