Reached Last Stage?

Mrfixituk41

Mar 22, 2018
My Dad’s vascular condition has changed quite a bit in the last few days. He was diagnosed in 2015. I was able to take him out and about, was going to a day centre, managed a 400m walk with assistance last week. His blood pressure etc have never really been a issue or any other risk factors. Is very sleepy, not very responsive, agitated if moved, his eyes are droopy. He is taking food and drink if given to him. He is pretty lifeless. Could this possibily be a silent stroke or a UTI? The Dr recommended antibiotics to start with, then possibly bloods. Said it wasn’t really in is best interests to go to hospital for a scan. Is not having a scan standard practice?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I doubt having a scan is a standard practice @Mrfixituk41. I don't recall hearing about any on Talking Point over a number of years and I`m not sure what having scans could achieve.

It sounds as if the doctor wants the chance to clear any possible infection, knowing full well infections have more detrimental effects on people with dementia than on those who do not have dementia.

I remember how my husband was affected by a chest infection which was so mild I didn't even know he had it.

There may be other opinions but I`d give the antibiotics a chance .

Let us know if they help. It will help others.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
As Grannie G says infections do cause havoc with someone with dementia. Some infections my husband had resulted in several courses of antibiotics and steroids. The same infection for me could be treated with paracetamol.

Country lady

Dec 5, 2017
In my experience, I think your Doctor is right. You need to treat any infection ASAP. Also, it is always better to keep your loved one out of hospital. There is nothing more confusing, and always seems to cause deterioration of the dementia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5