Radio 4 PM 16 March 2018 Dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Available as a BBC iPM podcast. 'I couldn't go to my mum's funeral'

A sad story. This lady found out from her mum's GP that her mum had married 5 months earlier despite not having capacity. Her mum lived in a property in their garden and they were still not able to protect her from this man. He did not even tell her about the funeral.

justiceforjoan

Mar 18, 2018
I am the person interviewed on PM (and it's currently available on iPM too - if you google iPM Radio Four). It is great that the message is getting out - thank you for your kind comments! Eddie Mair was lovely! We want to make some good come out of our hideous experience so we want to campaign for a change in the marriage laws and procedures. We want to collect any stories of marriages where one person lacked capacity. We have a website that gives the whole story in full, plus our goals, but we're not sure if the rules here allow us to put the link up. Any comments on here would be very welcome!

justiceforjoan

Mar 18, 2018
Available as a BBC iPM podcast. 'I couldn't go to my mum's funeral'

A sad story. This lady found out from her mum's GP that her mum had married 5 months earlier despite not having capacity. Her mum lived in a property in their garden and they were still not able to protect her from this man. He did not even tell her about the funeral.
Thank you very much - I am the person interviewed on PM and you have given a succinct and accurate summary of what happened. We'd been to the Police, Social Services and taken legal advice whilst Mum was alive and none of it helped as there are so few checks at marriage. Great to have your comment on here!

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello justice for joan, You spoke so eloquently about your mum and Eddie Mair is such a good interviewer.
One of the forum moderators would be able to tell you if it is ok to link to your website.

justiceforjoan

Mar 18, 2018
Hello justice for joan, You spoke so eloquently about your mum and Eddie Mair is such a good interviewer.
One of the forum moderators would be able to tell you if it is ok to link to your website.
Thank you so much - I will contact one of the moderators and let them know that I'm not spam! I think it's a really important safeguarding issue and I'm trying to raise awareness with a view to changing laws and procedures. Our MP is also involved - - but there's a lot to do!

justiceforjoan

Mar 18, 2018
If you report your post - button bottom left - and ask the report will go into a stack for attention.
Thank you very much - I have done this. We are trying to put more safeguards in place for people with dementia, and also to suggest a new offence of Predatory Marriage (as they have in Canada). What happened to us has been devastating for our family both emotionally and financially and we don't want anything similar to happen to others.

justiceforjoan

Mar 18, 2018
Many thanks, Mark - that's much appreciated. The website tells the story in more detail and also has pictures of my mother, plus the goals that we are aiming towards to safeguard more people with dementia. At present there's no requirement to check whether a registered Power of Attorney is in place (I had one), no medical checks, no assessment of mental capacity, no evidence kept at marriage - it's a nightmare like ours, waiting to happen for many others. So we are campaigning to change the Law and registrars' procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.