Tenants in common

Absentia

Mar 16, 2018
does anyone have any experience of changing from joint owners to tenants in common? I'm wondering whether to do this to protect myself should my husband need to go into care and then I want to move house.

Liepy

Oct 10, 2017
You should be ok anyway. Changing to joint tenants would protect your share of the house as inheritance though if you were to will it to anyone other than your spouse. If you move house any profit left over would be split between you and your spouse if he is in care

Absentia

Mar 16, 2018
You should be ok anyway. Changing to joint tenants would protect your share of the house as inheritance though if you were to will it to anyone other than your spouse. If you move house any profit left over would be split between you and your spouse if he is in care
Thanks. I see that this is the guidance but I was worried that this might change.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If you are tenants in common and you die first the share you leave could go to your children and not to your husbands care. You can of course will your share to anyone you like including your husband if you want it to go towards his care.

If you need to downsize or change houses while he is in care then th property continues to be owned by you both with any surplus of cash divided between you.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
If you need to downsize or change houses while he is in care then th property continues to be owned by you both with any surplus of cash divided between you.
If you move house any profit left over would be split between you and your spouse if he is in care
I am afraid it is not as simple as that. The joint owner/their PoA would have to agree to the use of their share/part share being used for any new property.

There is also no guidance in the CA2014 to whose name any new property should be in.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77