Mil thinks she had a stroke, got her memory back, very strange

sbrew

Apr 26, 2011
chiswick
Hi there, have not been here for a long time as mil been stable with vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s for the past 7 years- I.e. not remembering what happened 5 minutes earlier, quiet and very cooperative, we live half an hour drive and my Hubby is main carer, with bothers helping out every now and then, you know how it is- anyway- got a call early this morning from her, said she think she had a stroke, wobbly on feet and light headed, we drove down to find her very talkative, remembering things she forgotten a long time ago and revealing things to us about her Neighbour's and Sodexo dinner deliveries that she never said before- some memories mixed with hillisinations but she does not stop talking, very friendly and looks like she has gone back to year one of the altzheimer- don’t know what to do as year one was very traumatic for mil with being left on her own ( lives in own flat in a semi retired people home it’s warden visits 3 times a week and a link line), we are about to go back home now and don’t know whether to tell GP about it, what can they do? She is in great physical health, other then wobbly on feet, did it happen to any of you? Could it be UTi?
Thanks in advance for reply’s, very confused about what to do and how to continue fr M here.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @sbrew
I can't say I have ideas as to what's going on
but I am a firm believer in keeping the GP fully informed so they have as up to date and clear a picture as possible of how their patient is, then they can make the call as to whether to intervene in any way, and also I know I've given as much information as I have myself
also I'd let the warden know

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have heard of this happening, though not often
It seems to be that the brain manages to find a bypass around damaged areas and can access parts of the brain that they hadnt been able to for a while. You will probably find that it doesnt last, but enjoy it while it does.

sbrew

Apr 26, 2011
chiswick
Thank you both very much, I will update the GP and Warden although the GP will have to come to her flat if she wants to examine her, delighted to read about the possibility of the brain by pass the damaged parts, it is really wonderful to have her back even if it is for a little while, she is 92 and a very sweet lady.

sbrew

Apr 26, 2011
chiswick
Well, it was a very short lived event, today she is back to her old self, concentrates in herself and no one else, withdrawn and very forgetful, oh well, it was lovely yesterday anyway

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
When my mum stopped Memantine we had a couple of days like that. She could speak very fluently and cognition/memory much improved. We got our hopes up but it was very short lived, something was firing in her brain probably as a result of medication withdrawal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels