memory test

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Hi kind helpful people.
So i was a nurse and got diagnosed 2year with altzheimers,had a PET scan and said i had dementia.
Work finished me , i have now learned to try and live with it.
Hubby left me and son came to live with me and sold his house.
I have yearly memory tests, had appointment last week. Received letter today to say i performed better in this test compared to when last seen.
On most of these test as she wanted a answer i just guessed.
The consultant said it would be helpful to repeat the brain scan.

Do you think this is normal as i always thought it got worse not better. ??
Do you think i may have been misdiagnosed ??
What is he expecting the scan to show ??,is it normal to have another scan.
Sorry for so many questions, but my life nearly ended with this diagnoses and i have lost my career,hubby and much more.

Hi Kaaba
It is not unusual to inprove or be worse on memory test at memory clinic. I go six monthly,I have never shown to be really bad on test and have improved even, but I am asked numerous questions as to how I have been in previous months and I could always remember when I got something wrong ie not able too tie a knot, didn’t know where I was etc. I worried because I was not following usual Alzheimer’s path, but now know I also have a variant of Alzheimer’s ie I also have PCA which affects my sight ie brain cells that deal with sight are dying,but my memory on the whole is quite good,although speech gets worse I may well recognise people up to the end.
There are so many variations of this disease no two people are the same.
My memory clinic did not know about PCA but researchers read up on it and agree I have it.
Don’t give up,you know how you are and there are so many variations of all Dementia’s. I wish you well❤️❤️

cambrianmonkey

Feb 20, 2018
Hi kind helpful people.
So i was a nurse and got diagnosed 2year with altzheimers,had a PET scan and said i had dementia.
I have yearly memory tests, had appointment last week. Received letter today to say i performed better in this test compared to when last seen.

Sorry for so many questions, but my life nearly ended with this diagnoses and i have lost my career,hubby and much more.
thankyou

Nitram,
thank you for your kind reply,

I dont know if the memory test was marginal, as just got a letter saying it was better than last time tested (1 yr ago).
Its going to be another PET scan his secratary said.
I feel ok, but that things are a little more muddled and harder. i dont go out or have friends anymore. I used to be a nurse and lost my job, career, licence and husband when i got the diagnosis.
I phoned my GP and he siad he got the same letter as me, just saying he wanted another PET scan because i had done better on the memory test than last time.
His secratary said she would ask him to call me, but last time i ask him to he took 3 months and it was a letter.
My world was turned upside down wit the diagnosis as you can imagine and as i am sure you are aware i lost everything. My job as a nurse(career),husband and house as i now had no income other than ESA. my son left his house and come and looked after me and still does, lost my licence and all my friends//.
I dont no how to deal with all this as cannot cope with change easy.
on the memory test i said i dint no the answers and she said guess, so i did. i must have done well.....
God i cannot cope with not knowing what and why???, he is so awful for not getting back to me.
Thanks for the kind reply, as you said maybe hes just comparing the scans .

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi, I have early onset alzheimers and my husband has just jumped ship, I feel your hurt and pain. I have started on medication about 5 months ago called donepezil and it has transformed my way, it's helped so much and I have definitely improved, my memory for names and my language skills feel so much clearer and assessable. So maybe it's not so unusual? Xxx
Hi Clare
I was just reading through this thread & read you have early onset do you mind me asking how old you were when you first noticed problems & how you are doing now? I hope your meds are still working well for you.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi kind helpful people.

Hi Kazb how are you doing & what were the results of your last scan?
I hope you are doing well.