There's a stranger in my house ...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I know that some carers do not like to be reminded of what dementia does by watching television or listening to the radio, but I have found the daily readings from Wendy Mitchell's book illuminating and helpful in seeing things from my wife's point of view. For instance it has helped me to understand: why, despite all of the clothes in her several wardrobes she can never find anything to wear; how, despite a promising start she now finds the layout of our new kitchen totally confusing; her increased sensitivity to the everyday noises of the city; and why ordinary things that she has seen all of her life take on new and sinister forms and meanings. So much of what I have heard in the short radio excerpts has sounded sadly familiar.

Bobby Bland sang about a stranger in his house - a song about marital infidelity - and, although for different reasons and with different manifestations, that is often the way I feel nowadays. Perhaps that is how my wife sees me too. There's a stranger in my house and the stranger is you.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Its strange @northumbrian_k. I used to feel I was the stranger, especially when my husband looked at me with blank eyes or wanted to go home to his real wife and his real family.

I always knew who he was even when he didn't`t know me.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi @northumbrian_k, I've read that the PWD can live in a different time zone because their inability to retain recent memories means it easier for them to live in a time they remember better - often long ago. This is why an OH may not be recognised as they have a picture of a younger person in their mind. I experienced it myself recently when collecting the laundry from the bedroom and my wife asked "What are you doing mummy?". I presume my wife associated someone entering the bedroom to collect laundry with what her mum would have done when she was younger. It's a strange experience.

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
The stranger who came to stay with my husband has well and truly settled in. He makes me quite angry at times because I find he's here more so than my husband !

He's very apathetic, doesn't change his clothes and insists on putting dirty clothes back in the wardrobe. I also find his inability to put anything away in the correct place quite frustrating. He's very OCD too. He insists on cleaning the hearth to our log burner at least 5/6 times sometimes within an hour !

He's stealthily moved in piece by piece over the past 6 years. I didn't want him here, he was never invited and I'm not happy that he's here.

What should I do ? Some have suggested day care, others respite in care homes.

I know my husband would be devastated if he went though so here he stays.......welcome or not.