Quitting smoking help!!

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
Does anyone on here have tips on how to stop smoking whilst caring for pwd. I'm dreading it. But I have to stop for health and wealth reasons. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for patches. I've heard drinking water helps? Of course it's the mood swings is what I'm really worried about. My doctor is very good and sympathetic she knows it's not going to be easy when you are already under great stress. Just wondered if anyone had stopped and how you coped. I would like to go cold turkey but I don't think this is a good idea. Gp says the patches seem to be the most popular in really quitting. I've been smoking more just the thoughts of stopping is stressful. Any good advice appreciated.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Does anyone on here have tips on how to stop smoking whilst caring for pwd. I'm dreading it. But I have to stop for health and wealth reasons. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for patches. I've heard drinking water helps? Of course it's the mood swings is what I'm really worried about. My doctor is very good and sympathetic she knows it's not going to be easy when you are already under great stress. Just wondered if anyone had stopped and how you coped. I would like to go cold turkey but I don't think this is a good idea. Gp says the patches seem to be the most popular in really quitting. I've been smoking more just the thoughts of stopping is stressful. Any good advice appreciated.

Lozenges are good, just stick one in the side of your mouth and have an occasional suck. You may get addicted to them but it is better than smoking and cheaper. On particularly challenging occasions you can double up and stick one either side of your mouth (hamster style)

No kidding. They do work, well they did for me. Best of luck with it.

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
Thanks but you mean nicotine lozenges? I'm going with patches and the gum will ask about these. OK guys one pkt left. Wednesday is DDay!!!!! Gulp! I'll have more money and better skin. Gosh my cigarette is my best friend going to be hard to let go!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks but you mean nicotine lozenges? I'm going with patches and the gum will ask about these. OK guys one pkt left. Wednesday is DDay!!!!! Gulp! I'll have more money and better skin. Gosh my cigarette is my best friend going to be hard to let go!

Yes nicotine lozenges. Most supermarkets do their own version which are a good bit cheaper than the well known brand but just try whatever is best for you. Patches, gum or whatever. I found that the lozenges could sit in the side of my mouth for a good hour if I did not suck too often but go with what suits you best.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes nicotine lozenges. Most supermarkets do their own version which are a good bit cheaper than the well known brand but just try whatever is best for you. Patches, gum or whatever. I found that the lozenges could sit in the side of my mouth for a good hour if I did not suck too often but go with what suits you best.

@Onmyown Lozenges are how I gave up. My teeth aren't strong enough for gum, and I needed the whole oral thing. Ithe only problem I had was getting off them, and I found extra strong mints helped with that.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010

I used patches - although watch out if you leave it on overnight for weird vivid dreams! I put them on hidden places because I found they made red marks on my skin. Keep at it for longer than you think you might need to right now - keeping up the level of nicotine will stop you getting such cravings that you reach for a cigarette. If they don’t agree with you, any tolerable nicotine replacement will do.

I also had a vaping cigarette with ‘no nicotine’ liquid in it for when I wanted “to do smoking” until the habit/trigger of doing it wore off after several months - the glass of wine, the phone call, rewarding myself for doing something I didn’t really want to do. Unfortunately it made me cough after a bit so that had to go too!

Don’t have any cigarettes in the house or car - make it difficult to be able to get one in a crisis!

Get through each day at a time - thinking that you’ll never be able to smoke again is bizarrely terrifying when you’ve relied on them for a long time. And like you, cigarettes were my friend, my crutch - until it dawned in my that they were lying to me and making me ill without realising it. A hidden enemy in disguise.

The first three days were the worst, then it became easier. Watch out for being with others who smoke - it can look and smell very appealing. Avoid smoky places where you can - eventually it will smell oddly familiar but very repulsive at the same time! The horrible cough will go, and in time you’ll realise you aren’t clearing your throat all the time, and a cold won’t go to your chest and make you more ill every time.

Good luck - it isn’t easy, but so very worthwhile for your own health to do it - you deserve that; and treat yourself with something luxurious with the money you save

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I used hypnotherapy to quit smoking and it was brilliant.

I had three sessions on consecutive days and on the fourth day I quit. I had tried other things previously but failed dismally. After hypnosis, I found the withdrawal symptoms were greatly reduced and I could manage the nicotine cravings much more easily.

There was nothing like the patches or gum around then. I gave on 4th July, 1984 and every year on that day I would buy myself a present to say a big thank you to myself.

I have not had a cigarette since, nor have I even wanted one.

The biggest tip I can give you is that you will have a better chance of giving up if you really want to do it, not because the doctor says so or you just feel that you should.

I hope that you do well.

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
My top tip, is patches, BUT I also said to myself no cigarettes today, if you really want one tomorrow you can have one, sounds mad but the idea of never having a cig again was just too much for me to contemplate.
Another tip I tried to give up several times each time before I got down to the lowest patch/dose I thought I've cracked it... NO You've got to do the whole course.
Good luck

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I used hypnotherapy to quit smoking and it was brilliant.

Me too. I tried everything under the sun but two sessions of Hypnotherapy stopped me smoking without any withdrawal symptoms after smoking for 45 years. That was 17 years ago.

I asked my GP to find me someone properly qualified. He didn't`t believe in hypnotherapy but felt duty bound to help me. He was amazed how quickly I stopped after being well and truly addicted.

Sadly it doesn't work for weight control. :(

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
On Feb 1st I am coming up to 14 years quitting smoking. Actually it might even be 15, cant remember.

I did it via my GP practice using patches and an inhalator. I think they were the forerunner of E Cigs which hadnt been invented then. It was like a little white tube that you put nicotine cartridges in to. It made no vapour and as time goes on you dont even put a capsule in. Its something to fiddle with.

Anyway, it worked for me and for the first time in my adult life I became smoke free. You need to keep busy, get as much fresh air as you can, avoid other smokers and drink plenty of fluids.

Treat yourself to nice things with your savings too! Its not easy but definitely worth it.

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
After a life time of trying to give up a 40+ daily habit so very many times, I finally stopped 11 years ago with a combination of patches and inhalator.
What really helped me finally was that at the same time I made an prior announcement of my intentions at the charity I work for and asked for sponsorship. Every time I was tempted to give in I thought of the embarrassment of admitting failure and depriving the charity of much needed income.
Think of it as a day to day challenge. 3 is a magic number.... craving lasts 3 minutes, 3 days in is a tough one, then 3 weeks in.
Good luck!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I only smoked for a few years while I was at uni. But it quickly made me ill - asthma and bronchitis after every cold so I had to quit. I found going for a walk helped and deep breaths with the out breath like blowing smoke out if that makes sense. Smoking without the cigarette.
Another thing that motivated me was putting the cash I would've spent on cigarettes aside for treats.

Good luck!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@Onmyown The hypnosis is a good idea, or acupuncture? My dad, over 30 years ago, had acupuncture to help him quit his 60 a day habit, and he literally never smoked another cigarette! We were all astounded! Also, maybe try having a sort of mantra that you repeat over and over to yourself every time you get a craving. Like "€12 a pack!" :eek: And for the trigger points, like having a coffee or answering the phone, when you would normally have a cigarette, can I suggest you keep a short pencil or similar in your pocket? Take it out at those times, and hold it like a ciggie, and just fiddle with it! I stopped smoking 30 years ago, and to this day, if I'm on the phone, I will automatically pick up a pen or something and hold it like a cigarette!

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
My SIL gave up smoking about 10 years ago using nicotine gum but she is still totally addicted to it and gets through packets and packets every week.

We were out for a meal recently and she chews right up until she gets her food and the second shes finished shes popping more in her mouth.

She says ordinary chewing gum doesnt satisfy her. I guess its better than smoking though.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
My SIL gave up smoking about 10 years ago using nicotine gum but she is still totally addicted to it and gets through packets and packets every week.

We were out for a meal recently and she chews right up until she gets her food and the second shes finished shes popping more in her mouth.

She says ordinary chewing gum doesnt satisfy her. I guess its better than smoking though.
Apart from the fact nicotine is a poison, used to be sold in a ribbed glass bottle as an insecticide, now banned. Dad used to collect a colleague’s cigar stubs, soak in water and use on roses, not a bug insight, both friend and foe insects departed this world.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Apart from the fact nicotine is a poison, used to be sold in a ribbed glass bottle as an insecticide, now banned. Dad used to collect a colleague’s cigar stubs, soak in water and use on roses, not a bug insight, both friend and foe insects departed this world.
Checked up on nicotine, human poisoning rare, nicotine may be of use in preventing AZ and Parkinson (see wickapedia for citations)

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
thanks lots of good tips..................im smoking as i read this and will enjoy everyone of them!!! I also have to lose weight have hernia and ibs yes im a bit of a mess. all my health issues are stress related. I will try and at least if i slip up try try again. im not going ot beat myself up .would love to be smoke free. So fed up of the cravings,wasting money etc.

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
interesting but i have tried them years ago. my gp hates them and thinks the nicotine is not being controlled. my brother is on this e-cig for almost six years so that is not good . but then again tune in tomorrow and ill probably be smoking banana skins or taking crack? lol oh so not looking forward to it.... my friend said it cant be as hard as looking after pwd. TRUE?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp