Driving in the dark

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
Hi everyone I wonder if anyone has experience of behaviour during travelling.
My OH has been good lately but yesterday we were out in the afternoon and driving back in the dark. Half way home he starts to give me instructions and then when we arrive is very upset that I'm staying.
This has happened before when we have been in the car - I wear glasses for driving and wonder if that is it .
He then doesn't recognise me for hours but eventually does. We keep having these short episodes of non recognition - has anyone else seen this when travelling ?

I'm thinking of planning a summer holiday but not sure if it will be too disruptive.

Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im wondering if more likely to be because its dark, rather than because you are traveling.
Evening and night are times when PWDs are more likely to be confused and this could explain the non-recognition.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to plan your days so that you get back mid afternoon.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It could be sundowning but it could just be because driving in the dark can be very disorientating as you can't see your surroundings. I have always hated driving after dark.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
One of the earliest episodes I had of my husband really "losing" it was late at night when we came back from the theatre. We walked in our front door and he looked round horrified as if he'd never seen it before and was totally lost.

Perhaps the dark and tiredness exacerbate whatever is wrong in their heads. Now several years down the Iine I often see him sit up in the dark and look round mystified. Usually I tell him to lie down and go to sleep and he does...... Sometimes!

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
My husband is a definite sundowner - almost always lost at night - “does this place have a shower “ ? - but his brain is reset mostly by a good sleep - it’s Late here now so I suspect I best get him to bed before I strain the friendship !! Best wishes and goodnight to everyone !

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Mum always gets confused in the evening, she keeps asking where she is going to sleep even though she spends hours in her bedroom once it gets dark pegging her curtains to the window frame

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Rosie, could you try 'coming in again' as you - if you can leave your husband for a minute or two on his own with the door closed so he loses sight of you and then open and close the front door again and come in with a breezy 'Oh hello darling!' That might break the association from the car journey and help him see you as you.