Palliative care only from now

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I was called in today by the nurses who confirmed what I was already thinking- Dad no longer eating and drinking so the end is getting nearer. The Dr has stopped his medications as he can no longer swallow and injections if necessary to keep him comfortable. She said anything from a day to a week to a month, most probably a month as Dad is such a fighter.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry @Selinacroft
I remember when mum was put on palliative care only - it is a wrench, however much you know it deep inside, to have it confirmed. Mum was a fighter too
((((hugs))))

BIWO

Sep 1, 2016
Bedfordshire
Wishing you the best - just been through similar with my Mum and once treatment stopped, she only lasted 3 days. It was a blessing in the end for us as it so horrible to see them in this state.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A hard time for you. Wishing you strength and wishing peace for your mum.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you all, Dad passed away earlier today after all the family had visited. He is at peace at last after this horrible disease that has touched all our lives.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
I am so sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you at this sad time. Your dad is at peace now and we can only in our own way grieve for our loved ones but try and be thankful that they are no longer suffering this awful illness. I lost my mum 4 weeks ago and do hope, in due course, I will come to terms with losing her and be reassured that she, too, is no longer suffering. It is so hard though and I miss her terribly.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Thank you all, Dad passed away earlier today after all the family had visited. He is at peace at last after this horrible disease that has touched all our lives.
I suppose you can take comfort from the fact that everyone was able to come and say their goodbyes, and that their suffering, and yours watching, is now over.

However in the immediate future just take some time to be kind to yourselves as you contemplate that future without your dad.

Last edited: