nhs continuing care?

beancounter

Oct 20, 2007
Hi, I wonder if you could help me? I am finding it increasingly hard to cope with caring for my father at home esp as my mother is very ill too and has just come out of hospital. I hardly sleep at night as he doesn't sleep and I think I am going mad as I am started to suffer from wierd hallucinations. I have stopped work so that I can care for both of them and do not really go out anymore.

A month ago, my father was finally approved NHS continuing care but nothing has been done since the panel agreed it.

I spoke to the mental health team who told me to speak to the PCT who said to speak to the mental health team!! I seem to be going around in circles and do not know exactly what the NHS continuing care covers. No one has told me what my dad is entitled to now and what i should ask for.

At the moment, I am looking for a care home placement- the mental health team have told me I have to look for one myself as they cannot suggest one. So, I have been surfing :confused:through the CSCI inspectorate's website. When I suggested to the mental health team, they said one wasnt EMI so I would not get the funding and then another one was too expensive so they wouldn't fund that one either and then another was in another borough!

Getting more and more confused about this. No one seems to be helping me or giving me advice on how the NHS continuing care works.

PLEASE, anyone have any ideas/experience on this?

Many thanks

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi beancounter

Sorry, I know it's the last thing you need right now to be jumping through hoops and one set of people telling you to talk to another set of people .... or 'go away and do your homework' (which I know is how it can feel) .....Have you got a social worker involved? (Sorry, I know that's yet another set of people) .... Ask them to come up with possible places and let you choose between them ....... a social worker must surely have been on the panel? Who is looking out for you?

Last thing you need with your own health being impacted is a whole load of problems and organising to be done - how about talking to your own GP?

Sorry, that seems more questions than answers ... but it's scary to think you have secured funding and still you have so much on your plate - you can't be expected to do all this without professional support......

Sure others will be along with other practical ideas.... love Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
We're going through the NHS Continuing Care procedure for a family member at the moment.

The Social Services member of the group that put the application together gave us a list of local homes, and the level of care they can provide.

At least that gives a starting point. Worth seeing if your Social Services people have a similar list. My relative is in South Wales, where they seem fairly organised.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi beancounter,

I have just been through the Continuing Care Panel for repayment of top up fees, I should not have paid. Sitting before 6 members of the Panel was hard BUT if the Social Worker had done her job properly, I would not have had to go that route.

The Local Authority has a published book with all Care Homes in the area and that would be a good start to obtain one of the books.

If you require any information on Continuing Health Care, ring Alzheimer's Head Office as they have all the information there.

Should you require further information please p.m. me.

I did start a thread up some weeks ago to help people who will be going though this process.

Best wishes
Christine

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
A month ago, my father was finally approved NHS continuing care but nothing has been done since the panel agreed it.

Have you anything in writing, until you get this in writing please be cautious. It can take quite a while from the panel meeting to actually get the decision.

I had a Retrospective Review panel date last November. It was January this year before I heard that I had been awarded full refund of care costs + interest.

Did you have an Assessment Nurse working with you on your dad's case, if so ask her to keep you updated.

Best wishes.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi beancounter

Just a note to tell you that it is not just YOU that has this problem. It is the system that is made as difficult as possible and we all find it hard.

I claimed NHS Continuing Healthcare after mum had already gone into the EMI home. In my case the EMI Care home sends the monthly invoice to the NHS PCT who pay it. It took a long time to sort out.

Do remember that you are dealing with the NHS Primary Care Trust which may have different land area boundaries to Social Services. The NHS and SS are two different organisations.

Keep a dated record of whom you speak to and what they say.

In my case I made substantial use of my MP who wrote many letters and made many phone calls. I went and looked him in the eye… and kept going back until everything was sorted out. The advantage of the MP is that he can ask questions from the top of the NHS downwards, We ordinary mortals have to try and sort out our problems from the bottom of the NHS, and often end up talking to people who cannot make a decision.

Keep going. If you already have received National Health Continuing Healthcare in writing you have got over the first and highest hurdle.

All the best

Clive

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
Beancounter
Please enlist the help of your Social Worker. My dad is going through the CHC bit at the moment, although not gone to panel yet as the hospital have not done their paperwork.

The SW is brillient, she is suggesting to dad the different homes and has offered to take him to visit them.

I hope your SW will be as helpful.

Good Luck, this is not an easy thing to do - especially alone.
Debbyxxxx