What is an EMI centre

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
An EMI unit is a secure unit for the Elderly Mentally Infirm.
It is not secure in the sense of a prison, it is secure to keep residents who may wander, safe.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Prague

I'm glad you asked the question because I had wondered myself. Thanks sylvia for the info.

Hope you are both o.k.

Love

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I would like to add that my husband has AD and in the last stage and in a E.M.I. Unit where Peter was placed when he was 60.
Because there was no where else for the under 65's.

Christine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
My John's in an EMI unit too.

I must admit I wasn't happy about it initially, but in fact the care he is receiving is wonderful.

There are keypads on the doors into the main section of the home, and more keypads between the two EMI sections.

There's a higher staffing ratio than in the main units, and there's always a trained nurse on duty. The two charge nurses are RMN.

The carers all receive training for NVQs, (SVQ here), levels 1 - 3, and any that aren't dedicated don't last long! It's a hard job they do, for very little pay, and I think they're wonderful.

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
My Mum's in an EMI home too, although she is 89 so is elderly. I am very happy with where she is because it has been a nightmare finding somewhere that can cope with her (she gets violent). Nothing phases the staff at her home, they are some of the calmest people I have ever met. And there are really dedicated people out there. One of Mum's carers is a very wealthy Indian lady who doesn't need the money, she simply does it because she loves it. I'm not sure I would take my Mum to the loo "because I love it", so that is true dedication.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I don't know what happened to Said's glossary, Sue, but Cliff produced a very good one, almost a year ago!:eek:

This is the thread:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=7944

The final serious list is on page 4, with a humorous version on page 6.

It would be good if the serious version could be copied to resources, mods, so that we can find where to refer new members to.

PS Some serious information, but a brilliant thread, lots of good giggles.

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thanks Hazel, I knew there was a thread in the tea room, but I think non-members (i.e. those who come here for information but don't necessarily want to post) can't access the tea room thread.

Perhaps the mods could edit the tea room thread and make it a sticky on the main forum. 'Mods' and 'Sticky':eek: 2 new terms to be added to the list!

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
My mum is in an EMI residential care home. It is just as nice as any of the none EMI Care Homes I visited but it is set up to deal with residents with mental problems like AD. The outside door does have a lock, but this is just to make sure no resident goes out and gets lost.

Clive

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello again Prague

As far as I know, EMI refers to units in residential care homes.

Care homes are not run by the NHS or Social Services [I think] but by private companies or charities.

The EMI category is to indicate a safe place where residents are unable to leave the building unaccompanied.

My apologies if this information is incorrect. This was the case when my mother was in an EMI unit until 2002.

If I haven`t got my facts right, I`m sure someone will correct me.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Absolutely right, Sylvia.

Private companies set up homes, residential, nursing or EMI, and often units for all three. They provide the care, and lease out the rooms.

Some residents are funded wholly or partly by social services, some by NHS if they are fortunate enough to receive continuing care, and some have to pay their own fees if they have enough money.

Everyone should receive the same care, regardless of who is paying.

Debby Short

May 29, 2008
Near Heathrow Airport
Thanks everyone, all this information is good. My mum will be going into an EMI unit when she leaves hospital. The problem is she is only 65 too old for the homes that takes under 65's and too young for the ones that take the over 65's. She is a very young 65 year old and needs alot of stimulation.

I hope she will be able to get this in which ever EMI unit she goes into.

The staff all sound great.
Debby
xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77