Property sale and financial assessment history

Dec 20, 2017
Hi
Does anyone know how far back Dorset County Council can look on bank statements when doing their financial assessments? IE how many bank statements do we need to keep? It looks like their forms ask only for the current and previous 2 statements, so only 3 months worth.

Having sold a relative's property to fund care home fees, when that property sale money runs out less the £23450, can Dorset County Council request the property sale price when doing their financial assessments?
The property is a static park home or mobile home and doesn't show on land registry.
Thanks

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi madhouse. welcome to TP
In theory they can go back as far as they like and if anything makes them suspicious they will do that. I don't know what triggers it but a friend had quite a job to prove that his mum, although looking quite well off was actually quite cash poor.
The LA will almost certainly ask about the sale price of the house, not that they need to it will be on the Land Registry website for all to see, if it seemed unusually low then they may well question it, selling the house off cheap to a relative or friend does happen as a way of avoiding care costs, not that I'm implying you're going to do that but some people do try it on.
K

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
Hi there madhouse. I think nitram and Kevin have given you some good advice.

I guess you added the bit about the home not appearing on the Land Registry in your later edit, after they brought it up. Not a big issue, but it makes the sequence clearer if you use the "post reply" button in this kind of discussion in future.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
I just gave three months bank statements . Put no financial details on the form as it was clear from the statements . Just got a letter back re how much the council would pay and that was it . Had they asked for any more info it would have been fine but they didn't .