MEDICATION

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
I would like some advice regarding the taking of medication. This is causing me problems and I am sure I am handling it badly. My OH is a diabetic (as well as his Alzheimer's) and has remained stable for years on pills. About a year ago the diabetes progressed and he was put on insulin. The nurse showed us how to carry out the injection and I thought I would just oversee him doing it. The first week he would just look at the pen and not know what to do, so I would explain it to him and wrote a step by step guide and eventually he learnt how to do it correctly as I really did not want to be giving injections. I have to remind him each morning to do his injection and after a few grumbles he is ok with this. I do keep my eye on it though. Now he has been diagnosed as borderline asthmatic (just to add to the problems) and has been prescribed inhalers. These are now causing me major problems as he moans each time he has to take them and he just cannot seem to get his head round how to do it properly. He exhales when he should be inhaling! I eventually end up doing it for him and this really seems to anger me. I am struggling to accept that he cannot do this himself. Am I wrong in pushing him to do this himself and should I just hold my hands up and accept this is just another task I have to undertake. Something has got to change, which is probably me, as we end up rowing over these stupid inhalers which is upsetting for us both, although he forgets it shortly afterwards and I am riddled with guilt that I have got cross. This is so hard and I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Maybe go back to the GP and explain the problem you're both having and see whether there are easier solutions. I know it's very hard to accept deterioration in this condition but I am afraid insisting on him doing it will just end in a lot of frustration for both of you. Accept he needs more help now and deal with it graciously, and you will both feel better for it.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
As Kevini has said, using a Aero Chamber ( I've always called them "spacers") for the inhaler will make things much easier as no co-ordination is needed to get the right dose in is needed. I agree with Beate, it would be easier to just help him take his meds.

I get frustrated when my dad won't just take his pills, I have so many things I could be doing with that hour it sometimes takes me to persuade him. But that's the way it is now and I've accepted it I find it less stressful than trying to reason with him.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My kids have spacers (name I've always used), but without the mask, just the same sort of mouthpiece as the inhaler, but breathe in and out a few times works.

they are on prescription and meant to be replaced annually I think

Edited to add: if you have an asthma nurse at your practice, speak to her, ours is very good

Also I had to self inject daily for a year (an anti clotting drug) and I hated it, I really don't like needles, so I would find it really hard to supervise someone else so well done for what you have managed so far.

Last edited:

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
Thank you for your kind suggestions. We have an appointment with the nurse shortly and I will discuss these points. Have just researched the Internet regarding inhalers and noted that the contents should go straight to the lungs and if it makes you cough then it is not being taken correctly. My OH coughs after taking it so obviously we are not doing it correctly. Spacers certainly appear to be the solution. Didn't realise the nursing side of this caring could cause so many problems. Most days I cope with the trials and tribulations but there are just the odd day when it all feels too much, as I am sure you are all too well aware of.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My OH has recently been given asthma medication and GP suggested using a spacer (available over the counter here). The pharmacist showed him how to use the inhaler with spacer but it was a struggle for him to get it right. The biggest problem was that he would suck the drug into his mouth instead of inhaling it correctly. And of course he got cranky when I tried to help because he insisted he knew what he was doing.

He hasn't needed it for a while but I assume that he will have to spend some time practicing the next time he needs it. It is only a few simple steps but he would put in the wrong end, forget to take the cap off, forget to shake it - everything was so complicated for him.

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
Your story sounds very similar Lawson58. I still find it so hard to accept that an intelligent man finds it difficult to follow instructions. I do understand this terrible disease does this to a person, but there are days when patience is not easy. At the moment this is just a trial as the medical people are not sure exactly what is causing this constant cough, so now they are working on the line of border asthmatic and trying inhalers for a month. It may turn out that these do not work so solves the problem of using the inhalers, but not remedying the cough. When did life start getting so complicated!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband began to find swallowing his diabetic medication difficult and either hid the tablets in his pyjama pocket or thew them out of the toilet window.

He had medication for osteoporosis which was impossible. He refused the calcium tablets because they were so big and he wouldn't`t chew them. The tablet to be taken once a week , with no food or drink for an hour afterwards and having to remain upright for half an hour was a nightmare so had to be stopped.

Where possible he was given liquid medication and managed without the rest.

alant48

Nov 18, 2017
My husband began to find swallowing his diabetic medication difficult and either hid the tablets in his pyjama pocket or thew them out of the toilet window.

He had medication for osteoporosis which was impossible. He refused the calcium tablets because they were so big and he wouldn't`t chew them. The tablet to be taken once a week , with no food or drink for an hour afterwards and having to remain upright for half an hour was a nightmare so had to be stopped.

Where possible he was given liquid medication and managed without the rest.

Adcal D3 (calcium +D3 for better absorption) has an effervescent version but don't leave any in the glass as it goes milky and leaves a residue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell