Unable to open savings account

tinkytoes

Aug 2, 2017
Yorkshire
Can anybody advise me on how to open a savings account without any photo identification for my family member with dementia.
I am a deputy for property and financial affairs and currently all funds are held in various accounts with the same bank which pays 0.5% interest. I have carried out a bit of research and can achieve up to 2% with other banks. However I have reached a stumbling block where they won’t accept an application without photo id. There is no photo id available and my deputy ship order is not acceptable, has anyone else had this problem?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I opened 4 different institutions...bank and building society accounts for dad as his attorney...not once asked for photo id for him..he didn't have any in any case. My power of attorney documents, my id documents plus a couple of other id and address proofs for dad were all accepted without problem in the High Street

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Are they asking for your photo id or your PWDs?

Not sure if it works the same for deputies but for LPA it is the attorney holder whose ID is required.

this link specifies what banks should require (scroll down the to checklist for individuals) although I have found some require more.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist

When we sold my mum's house the solicitor required ID for her, and I provided a letter from DWP (I think her winter fuel allowance) as proof of name, instead of a passport.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Would a photo ID/Citizen card help? think you can get one of these from Post Office.

When I opened a new bank account for my mum bank did not insist on photo Id but I did show them her out of date driver's licence and her disabled parking badge.

Daisy pie

Nov 24, 2016
West Midlands
Can anybody advise me on how to open a savings account without any photo identification for my family member with dementia.
I am a deputy for property and financial affairs and currently all funds are held in various accounts with the same bank which pays 0.5% interest. I have carried out a bit of research and can achieve up to 2% with other banks. However I have reached a stumbling block where they won’t accept an application without photo id. There is no photo id available and my deputy ship order is not acceptable, has anyone else had this problem?

I don't know if this would help you but recently I had to open a new bank account, I couldn't find my driving licence as photo ID even after days of searching (it used to be in my purse but my Mom must of got hold of it and put it somewhere safe :D)
At my local bank all they would accept is a driving licence or a passport as proof of ID, it dawned on me that you can open a bank account online, I asked at the bank would I need ID for this? they said no so I did it all online, they just ask a few security questions. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

tinkytoes

Aug 2, 2017
Yorkshire
I don't know if this would help you but recently I had to open a new bank account, I couldn't find my driving licence as photo ID even after days of searching (it used to be in my purse but my Mom must of got hold of it and put it somewhere safe :D)
At my local bank all they would accept is a driving licence or a passport as proof of ID, it dawned on me that you can open a bank account online, I asked at the bank would I need ID for this? they said no so I did it all online, they just ask a few security questions. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

tinkytoes

Aug 2, 2017
Yorkshire
Which bank was this? I’ve got a current account with a couple of very poor rate savings accounts which is why I want to transfer the bulk elsewhere. 2 banks have refused without photo identification both online and on the high street

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
The online system works if they can verify you electronically, this won't work for everyone. If it has failed with one bank it is likely to fail with all banks, we use electronic verification at work, and not everyone is on it.

I've googled and taken this from one banks website:

• one document from the UK Photo ID list (must be taken into a branch, please do not post)
OR
• two separate documents: one from the Proof of Name list below and one from the Proof of Current Address list. The same document can't be used to prove your name and address.

So maybe go back to the bank and ask what procedure they operate without photo ID maybe going up the chain to a higher level person as they should operate a proof of name and proof of address system - and then the lists I put on the last link can be used.

Or google the relevant bank for proof of name.

This is what came up for a couple one a bank and one a building society:

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/what-do-i-need-to-open-a-bank-account/

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/proving-your-identity

Daisy pie

Nov 24, 2016
West Midlands
Which bank was this? I’ve got a current account with a couple of very poor rate savings accounts which is why I want to transfer the bulk elsewhere. 2 banks have refused without photo identification both online and on the high street

It was with Barclays Bank I opened a current account, the security questions they asked were about an account I had with my previous bank, it was a relief as my passport was out of date so they wouldn't accept this and as I said my mom had took my driving licence, she is like a magician with making things disapear :)