Advice Needed Please as Very Worried

Rayray47

Nov 21, 2017
Hi

I'm new to this forum and so relieved to find it as I really don't know what to do and would be grateful for any advice please.

My father is currently in hospital. He's in his 80s and has shown signs of dementia for a while. He was physically fit though and never went near a doctors.

He got to the stage of not washing or changing his clothes and his body clock was all over the place. And he would just pick at food. He is mobile so would walk to the shop, withdraw a lot of cash for no reason and then bang on a strangers front door to take him home! He's also started making remarks about wanting to die at times and thought people were living in the attic and that we are selling off his stuff?!

Up until the last 18 months he's always been a very heavy drinker, 7 nights a week, and has a history of having been physically abusive at times when he was younger which is why my mum divorced him.

We could see things were getting worse but he wouldn't go to the doctors. He did however finally agree to carers coming in to help him wash. His behaviour has been getting stranger recently and very aggressive verbally. Last week I went to see the doctor on my own as clearly he needs help. However, prior to the doctor coming my father had got very upset and confused as he thought he was in the wrong house. He ended up being found by a couple at 6.30 in the morning collapsed in a lane near his house. We think he might have been out for about 5 hours! He had fallen and cut his leg but had no idea, even when he saw his injured knee he denied it had happened. He was slurring some words so I thought "stroke?". A paramedic came and assessed him and said he was fine! A bit later a district nurse arrived who was lovely and took one look at my father and said he's not safe to be at home and needs to go to hospital but the GP needs to OK that. The GP came out and arranged an ambulance to take him in. We then had a couple of hours where my father wouldn't cooperate and agree to go to hospital. The ambulance people said he didn't have mental capacity and would need a doctor to section him as they couldn't force him to go. On phoning the GP he declined to arrange for a sectioning as said it wasn't life threatening and we had to wait for something else to happen and then ring 999.

Thankfully the ambulance people were fantastic and eventually my father went with them.

He's now been in hospital 5 days so far. They've said its not a stroke and he's showing signs of vascular dementia but I don't think he's been properly mentally assessed yet. They are also starting to plan his coming home. Now this is the worry. My father clearly isn't ok and he's acting very, very strange but it feels like they can't see it. He's no idea who we are and doesnt know he's in hospital. All he talks about is will we take him to buy cigarettes and then he asks us to get my aunty to drive him as he said she's there too!!?? (None of it makes sense as he's not seen her in years). They've had to sedate him one night as he was getting nasty and trying to escape from the ward.

He lives in his own house which he shares with my mother. She's 88 and also has dementia and isn't mobile apart from going from the chair to her bed. They are divorced but chose to keep the house as joint tenants in common - why oh why she did that I have no idea!! Also in the house is my daughter who is my mum's main carer, my daughters partner and they have a 5 year old child with a disability. My daughter copes with looking after my mum brilliantly and we are all very close. I don't live there and it wasn't until tonight that my daughter opened up to me and said how hard it has been with my dad recently and she can't cope anymore with him (she's fine with mum). I had no idea dad was acting like he has been at night. Apparently dad who is a very heavy smoker has been dropping cigarettes and they've all been petrified he will start a fire. And he's been getting up in the night and waking them all up. My daughter is really close to my dad and she's guilt ridden he got out the house and fell over in the night. But she has said as much as she loves him she can't cope anymore and particularly in view of how worse he's getting. She suffers from anxiety anyway and I'm worried about her. I've tried to talk to the hospital but I just feel they'll send dad home with carers popping in a few times a day. I'm worried about my mum as he tried to tell her she was in the wrong house and get her out of her chair the other day, and there's no way she can cope with him. Also my daughter has my granddaughter to think about. My daughter has said she will move out if they send dad back as she can't cope, but then that will make her homeless and that leaves mum on her own and then she won't be safe. I'm goint to be moving in a few weeks so I'll be two hours away then so I'm no help and I feel I'm leaving my daughter to it which worries me. We really don't know what to do as like I said we just fear the hospital will say he's physically ok and its half his house so he can go home with carers coming in. We really think he needs to be in a secure residential home where he will be safe. Never in a million years did any of us ever think we would say that. Also we don't have a power of attorney and it's hard enough getting dad to pay for his meals on wheels and a weekly wash! Any advice would be welcome please.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have you seen the hospital social worker yet? You need to tell him exactly what you told us, and say that unless they want a failed discharge on their hands, they need to find a solution. Your Dad needs a proper needs assessment, and your daughter as his main carer a carers assessment. It sounds to me as if the situation is so that a return to the house would be untenable for everyone, and you need to impress the impact on all concerned, not least another vulnerable adult (your Mum) onto the social worker. Say that unless something is properly sorted you will remove his house keys, and no one will answer the door to let him back home. I know this sounds harsh, but you need to be firm, for everyone's sake.

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sounds awful. Not sure I have any constructive answers for you, but feel sure that someone with answers will read your thread soon. Have you looked at the possibility of placing your father in a nursing home?

Rayray47

Nov 21, 2017
Sounds awful. Not sure I have any constructive answers for you, but feel sure that someone with answers will read your thread soon. Have you looked at the possibility of placing your father in a nursing home?
Thank you for replying. No we haven't looked at a nursing home as we aren't sure what to do or how to go about it. Also dad wouldn't agree to going so we just all feel lost at the moment.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If he has lost capacity then he doesn't need to agree - a best interest decision would need to be made instead.

Rayray47

Nov 21, 2017
Have you seen the hospital social worker yet? You need to tell him exactly what you told us, and say that unless they want a failed discharge on their hands, they need to find a solution. Your Dad needs a proper needs assessment, and your daughter as his main carer a carers assessment. It sounds to me as if the situation is so that a return to the house would be untenable for everyone, and you need to impress the impact on all concerned, not least another vulnerable adult (your Mum) onto the social worker. Say that unless something is properly sorted you will remove his house keys, and no one will answer the door to let him back home. I know this sounds harsh, but you need to be firm, for everyone's sake.
Thank you for replying. No we've not seen a social worker. I have to ask several times to get any updates at all. I don't even think the mental health team have seen him yet. All they've done is get a physio to phone me about what stairs does he have at home. It feels in my opinion like they're pretending they can't notice his mental health and just want him discharged asap as physically he is ok. I don't want to post it on here but I found something in his bedroom tonight that has really worried me with regard to safety and I'm planning on going to the GPs first thing tomorrow as I feel the hospital aren't helpful and someone needs to listen to us. I really need them to take this serious now as its not just a case of poor memory etc.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Hi Ray Ray,

Sorry to read what you have written in your post. This sounds challenging both for you and your sister and her family.

There are a number of issues in your post.

Firstly, contact the organisations listed at the bottom. They will guide you. They are fonts of knowledge and pools of calm. You very much need this at the moment.

Then phone SS (Social Services) and tell them - briefly - about the situation. Explain about the ambulance coming out and assessing your father as no longer having capacity. This last bit is evidence.

Also, explain your mother has a diagnosis of dementia. She is frightened of your father and is a vulnerable elderly person who is at risk. This is an alert for SS to come and investigate. Should anything happen to your mother state that you will hold SS personally responsible.

There is also a young person in the house. A house that, due to your father's behaviour and dementia, in combination with his reckless smoking habits, is not a safe environment for either your mother or your sister's family. So, young, vulnerable person at risk. DItto with regards to holding SS responsible.

Ensure you write down names, date of call and subject matter. This is an evidence trail.

In addition, your sister is at risk of carer's breakdown. Should your father return she has a stated intention of leaving so SS will have two vulnerable elderly people at risk and the potential of a house fire and potential physical harm for both parents as a result.

Put in your parents' postcode and the local contact number will come up.

Alzheimers Society
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Age UK
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Best of luck