trying to say hi to everyone

maggie 48

Jun 30, 2008
Third time lucky I hope. My name is Margaret and i am looking after my mumwho lives with myself and my husband John.Mum who is called Irene has had dementia for three years.I am new to caring and using a computer which my husband bought me for my 60 th birthday and as yyou can see afew mistakes, but I will get there. Just got mother Aoff on a new day care centre, few tears but I do hope she likes it.Any helpful tips on either subject, computing or caring will be helpful and appreciated. thanks.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Maggie!

Welcome to TP...:)

There's a lot of support and info here...

My computer skills are very limited..so can't help you with that one!!! I've learnt a lot since being here though...:)

Hope your mum enjoys the day centre..how old is she Maggie?

Please feel free to ask any questions..or to air any problems you have..or just to chat.

There's always someone around!!

love gigi xx

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Maggie

Welcome to Talking Point. I think you've done brilliantly being able to post a message on here when you are a novice on the computer - I am most impressed. Typing mistakes don't matter at all - what matters is being able to say what you need to and being understood. Your typing was perfectly good enough as you will see when you read some of the other posts.

Hoping that you find the support that you need.

Love Helen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Maggie, welcome to TP.

You've done fine, and your post is OK. We all make typing mistakes, and the more stressed I am the more mistakes I make. So long as we can tell what people are tgrying to say, that's all that matters.

I hope your mum got on all right at day are, it's a worrying time, wondering if they'll settle.

As for computer tips, you'll pick them up as you go along, just don't be scared to try. Caring tips? Just keep on reading any thread that looks interesting to you, that's how we all learn.

If you've any questions, just post, someone will know the answer, or know where to find it.

All the best,

andrear

Feb 13, 2008
Yorkshire
HI Maggie and Welcome to TP

I too have no computer skills, I think they say now 'computer literate' which I am not!! I never needed to use a computer before, and the one I use now is the one my son left at home when he went to work abroad!! So instead of it being covered in dust, I try as best I can to use it. Sometimes it takes me forever to post on the site, but so what, I'll just start all over again. And my husband is totally computer literate, and we have a really good computer aswell, but I just can't get to grips with it!!

So Maggie, you are looking after mum, I look after both mum and dad, (dad has dementia, mum has cancer) but I do not live with them. You will find lots of friends on here to help you get by.

I do hope that you find this site to be beneficial to yourself and your family, it has opened my eyes completely, letting me know that I am not alone, am not as isolated as I used to feel, and I can tell people just how I feel without any embarrassment.

There are some lovely people on the site, to name a few, Grannie G, Gigi, Skye, Brucie, Connie, and many others (sorry if I missed you out folks!!), but they are on the site on a regular basis and they do give some extremely good and careful advice to others. Between them they have a wealth of experience and you will do well to read anything they say.

Please keep on talking to us.
Love AndreaX

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Margaret

and welcome to TP (Talking Point) from me too.

I live with & care for my Mum, who is 89, and has been suffering from Alz. for (probably) 4 yrs. with hindsight, actually diagnosed May 06.
We may find we are experiencing a lot of symptoms etc in common. On the other hand we may not, each person is different.

Mum goes to Daycare 1 day a week (I'm told that's all there is on offer for her in this area) & has done for about 18 months now. She has always gone quite willingly until recently, when she has been suffering from anxiety attacks about being alone. She seems to need lots of reassurance that I will be coming to get her after lunch.

Well done on your first post, I 'lurked' & read other people's contributions for a long time before I dipped a toe in the water myself, and there is so much practical information here. Family carers who are with a dementia sufferer for 5, 10 or 24hrs per day will inevitably learn more than medical personnel who spend 10 minutes with a patient maybe 4 times a year. OK, we learn about only one person, but here we pool all that hard-earned knowledge for the common benefit. So dive in on any thread that catches your eye, and add your tuppence worth or ask questions.

Best wishes

jpotter

Jul 11, 2008
Hi Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Just wanted to say hi. I use a computer everyday and the internet but still messed up my first post on here. Managed to post under the wrong topic. Didn't read the advice posting first time posting. Went in like a bull in china shop then got all upset when noone responded. It was only then that i read about posting for the first time. I was just so desperate at that point to try to help my Grandma who has dementia and my mum who is the carer.

You have done really well. There are some really great people here that take time to respond. Its taken me a week to check back on my thread. I felt so stupid and scared but people do care and I just wanted you to know that.

Lots of love

bert

Jul 9, 2008
birmingham
hi there maggie and well done. im 34 and it me a good while for me to do my first post yesterday, and id been online a few times before i even got that far! your computer skills will get better and better.

keep logging in!

bert

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Maggie

Nice to hear from you.
I am impressed by you computer skill's:)
Keep posting.
Barb & Ron XX