lost the concept of time

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
my oh can read the time correctly but seems to have lost the concept of it ie if i say we are going out at one he thinks we should go now even though it is 10.00 he reads his watch and tells me it is 10.00 though very strange

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
It's the same way with my mother's (Alzheimer's) and from what I've read here on TP and heard in my support groups, this is very common with dementia.

You might try not mentioning appointments and plans in advance, if it causes upset or frustration. My mother would get terribly anxious about and fixated on what time, where were we going, when did she need to be ready, and all that, so I stopped giving her any advance notice-it wasn't worth the upset.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I have noticed that my mother sometimes looks at the clock and gets it the wrong way round. She confuses the big and little hands so might be hours out.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have noticed that my mother sometimes looks at the clock and gets it the wrong way round. She confuses the big and little hands so might be hours out.
This happens with my wife too and she has little concept of time of day eg asking another dog walker at 10am today whether this was the last walk before bed. She also gets anxious about appointments if she knows about them in advance (and remembers). If money is involved eg paying the hairdresser she will count her cash many times on the morning of the appointment then be surprised when I say that it is time for us to go.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
This happens with my wife too and she has little concept of time of day eg asking another dog walker at 10am today whether this was the last walk before bed. She also gets anxious about appointments if she knows about them in advance (and remembers). If money is involved eg paying the hairdresser she will count her cash many times on the morning of the appointment then be surprised when I say that it is time for us to go.

That is SO like my Mum Northumbrian. She often tells me my brother has been to visit her in hospital "last night" but he only ever visits in the afternoon. Likewise, she gets her hair done in the hospital on Fridays. I leave the correct money and a nurse locks it in a little safe by her bed. Every time I visit she asks when she's getting her hair done. The nurses sort out the payment but that all seems to pass Mum by and she will say "I think the hairdresser says I owe her £18". but it's only £10 and she's been paid! I don't say anything now.

I like your Leonard Cohen quote by the way. There's one on the tip of my tongue ... will have to get back to you!

herdaughter

Sep 21, 2015
London
Yes. My mother too.
In fact my mother will ask for the cup, look at it right there and not recognise it as a cup... perhaps a later variant on same problem. See, but don't recognise. I think that's even what happens when she doesn't know who I am -- she's still glad to see me so I think she sort of does and doesn't know what she's seeing.

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
My husband continually asks what day/month it is and keeps checking the date on the newspaper and on the tv he still remembers how to find the time on tv but still knows understands the time on the clock.!

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
The other day, Mum got me up at 6am and asked me what we were having for lunch and when, because she was hungry. In my sleep-filled haze, I said "Mum, it's six o'clock in the morning!"

Her response? "No, it's not. It's six o'clock lunchtime." :D I had to laugh.

But, yes, this is very common. Mum can't recognise that it's light or dark outside, as a clue to what time of day it is. She ignores the dementia clocks all over the house now. She even once asked me when we were having dinner, when it was on a tray on her lap and she was in the middle of eating it. It's like the visual clues just don't work any more.

Hugs

Jo xx

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
From what
I've read and experienced it's very common.
Mam woke dad up at 5am, very angry, "why are you in bed, your dinner's ready"
Poor man had to go down and face a lasagne.
We have bought 2 clocks that tell the time along with depictions of day or night, sorry to say they made no difference.
Xx