Attendance Allowance Application

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hoping someone may know the answer to this one, your guidance much appreciated.
Completing the form for attendance allowance, should I get Mum (vascular dementia) to sign it, given I am replying to the question that she does need help with forms / paperwork.
May have answered my own question there, ‘needs help’ so can still sign I guess.
In the process of doing health PoA. Got the wealth one but not a certified copy, which will delay getting the application in.
Dad has appointment for help to complete the form I am trying to get completed as much as possible before that as time is running out to meet return date. Originally he wanted to do it himself, so I didn’t want to take over.
Replies very much appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum wasnt able to sign at all when I applied for AA for her. Im sure there is a section at the back where you can say why you are filling in the form on behalf of someone else. Dont forget to fill in the form as if it were her worst day and also fill in the boxes under each question assuming that a different person reads every question.

If she is having problems with forms you might want to become her DWP appointee, so that you can sort them all out for her.
https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I signed on mums behalf. They called me to say they would visit mum, which really surprised me, but when I told them I had poa they just asked for a copy.

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
I got hubby to sign his and he is capable of signing at the time but will forget later he has signed it, I just had one call from the dept asking if he had signed said yes and that I have a POA and that was it.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Simple answer: if she is still able to sign, get her to sign as it makes everything so much easier.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Dont forget to fill in the form as if it were her worst day and also fill in the boxes under each question assuming that a different person reads every question.
@DollyBird16 ...this is the best advice...I did the form for my OH, and hw was awarded the highest level Immediately. You feel like you are repeating yourself...but Canary is right.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Dont forget to fill in the form as if it were her worst day and also fill in the boxes under each question assuming that a different person reads every question.
@DollyBird16 ...this is the best advice...I did the form for my OH, and hw was awarded the highest level Immediately. You feel like you are repeating yourself...but Canary is right.

jen54

May 20, 2014
I am just filling in the as application form, mum has gone into a carehome from hosoital.
I am finding it very difficult,as carers at the home couldnt help me in some areas.
I don't know how many times mum uses the toilet during the day,or how many times it for how long during the night,..they just said she needs help for everything and in incontinence pants,when I visited yesterday her soiled sheets were in her bathroom,and the chair seat had gone,so I know she has accidents.
I also presume I put mums house address on the first page where asked,not the care home,even though she is at the care home now..later in the form there is a question asking if she is in a carehome and for its address
Feels more difficult now she isnt at home and I am not seeing firsthand as mum has deteriorated since she came out of hospital,

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jen54
think of the very worst day when your mum was at home and use that as your base line - my guess is that she would already have qualified for the AA - then ask for a meeting with the care home manager to go through and add in any extra info - I believe there is a section for you to add info so explain the situation there, describing your mum in hospital too
you can also take the forms to your local AgeUK as they can help and know how best to fill in the forms to answer each question appropriately

jen54

May 20, 2014
Thanks,I will need help, as I am filling it out as mum is now, she was only a little better before her fall,but I didn't want to put down how she was a few weeks ago when at home,she was not a lot better,but we couldnt supervise her all the time, so we weren't sure how bad she was when alone at night
I will ask the manager,
I don't even know her hospital number,and havent prescription details as district nurse did that all at the home

I also don't know if I have to tick the but that says I want to be appointed to represent my mum and look after her benefit affairs. I already ticked that I gave poa and will send off a copy..but thinking do I need to tick saying I want to look after her benefit affairs..otbis that just if you don't have poa

Tbh the notes that are meant to help you fill in the form..are next to useless for someone how hasn't a clue
I will be ringing age uk or similar for help tomorrow ,
My mum needs help to eat,but she also needs encouragement..do don't even know if you can tick both sets of boxes.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi
My local carers support people put us in contact with citizens advice who helped complete the form.
I’d done most of it, but they added to it.
Mum has been granted the higher amount, despite Mum signing it they wanted a certified copy of my poa.
They sent the poa back which was good too.
It’s an overwhelming form when you have so much going on definitely opt for help with it. X

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I wrote several extra pages giving examples of how mum needed help. Much of it was encouragement to ie she wouldn't eat if not presented with food, but could feed herself. She had toilet accidents and didn't always know so needed help to change her clothes. I ticked the box re benefits and I had poa.
just checking though, but is your mum self funded in the care home? If she isn't I don't think she gets AA so you will need to make it clear on the form if she is in a care home but self funding.

I'm sure someone else can confirm this or otherwise if I'm wrong.

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
I wrote several extra pages giving examples of how mum needed help. Much of it was encouragement to ie she wouldn't eat if not presented with food, but could feed herself. She had toilet accidents and didn't always know so needed help to change her clothes. I ticked the box re benefits and I had poa.
just checking though, but is your mum self funded in the care home? If she isn't I don't think she gets AA so you will need to make it clear on the form if she is in a care home but self funding.

Just checked and you are quite right if you are in a care home but self funded you are eligible for AA so

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When you fill in the form it is actually mums address at the care home that you write, because that is where she is living.
I ticked the box saying that I wanted to be her representative and it made everything much easier when dealing with DWP.
I found Age UK very helpful with filling in the form.

BTW, I think you need to apply for AA even if they are not self-funding as that money will then go to the LA.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
BTW, I think you need to apply for AA even if they are not self-funding as that money will then go to the LA.
Huh? No, AA stops if you are going to a care home and are not self-funding. It does not go to the LA. That would be the State Pension.

jen54

May 20, 2014

If you are self funding,you can get attendance allowance if in a care home,
I didn't realise this until the care home manager said.

Is it ok to put care home address at front if she has only been in a couple of weeks,we don't see her returning home as her House as she needs live in care due to her mobility and Alzheimer's, another tumble down stairs could be fatal,
And then do I fill in the description of the care home ..where it says upstairs toilet etc..no good filling in questions with her house layout if she isn't living there now
I literally think I am having a meltdown..lol ..I shall be ringing for help tomorrow
I have a copy of the care home care plan to attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5