Guidance re Speech

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Everyone on TP was a great help when I was dithering over moving Mum to a CH a few months back. I took the plunge and I am so grateful I had that support and acted on it. I dread to think what would have happened as Mum has deteriorated so much since July.
I am posting to see if anyone could hazard a guess at the way Mum's speech/conversation/comprehension will progress. 3 months ago she could converse well, although her memory let her down on recalling facts and often words, but in the 'here and now' she was fine. A few weeks ago her confusion seemed greater and this was reflected in her conversation. Now she still chats, the words are OK but the content just doesn't make sense. The nouns are all wrong eg ' I need that wooden thing to get on the horse' (she was talking about using the loo). I visit for about 3 hours every other day, and although I don't want to whinge - it's quite difficult to engage with this conversation as Mum gets really frustrated if I don't understand and I can only go for so long pretending that I do. Sadly the other dementia residents all have their own problems, quirks and confusion - but the vast majority can chat. The chatty ones have given up talking to Mum as they don't understand what she's on about. Even the staff who are wonderful, find it confusing and as a result do not chat for so long.
Anyone recognise this, or can let me know how Mum's speech is likely to progress? She is obviously losing her ability to converse - I wonder what will happen next.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Three hours is way too long on your own to engage in conversation with someone who has dementia. An hour is more than enough and then let her back into her new life. When other people are with you it's possible to keep a sane conversation rolling but not on your own.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I don't know how things will progress for anyone, but my experience with my own mum is that she was talking in sentences for the first few months but by the time we moved her to a different home it was a few words or a phrase, then it went to one word answers. I could not tell if she really understood what we were saying or not, but assumed she did.

I think Marionq is probably right, shorter visits might be the way forward here. My dad used to just sit with mum and do a crossword or read the paper next to her, we couldn't hold a conversation with her for long.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77