Dad has Alzheimer's

Taz2468

Oct 17, 2017
Hi
My dad is in a care home and has been there for just over a year. All of a sudden he deteriotated and now can't remember where he is, or how to work TV, mobile phone or how to get dressed, clean teeth etc, which is so very sad. The home is just brilliant with him great carers and nursing staff, however there is a lack of support for families there. I am an only child and I'm finding this so very hard to deal with, I visit every other day but of course Dad doesn't remember and I'm accused of not visiting, he can't get hold me, which makes me feel very guilty indeed. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello @Taz2468 and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about the deterioration in your dad. It can be very difficult to deal with when a loved one no longer recognises us.

Maybe you would like to start a thread of your own, in the "I care for a person with dementia" section here: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/ where you would get more responses from others. To start a thread of your own,

1. Find a forum that is relevant for you [e.g. I care for a person with dementia ]

2. At the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this.

3. Add a discussion title and below, add your message. Then click or tap the [Submit thread] OR [Create Thread] button. Don't forget to check the "watch thread" box, so you will be alerted to any responses.

And meanwhile, do browse around the rest of the site, and join in any other discussions that catch your interest!

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielf1