Urgent Query

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire
hi all
Query
My friends father broke his foot and is in hospital, he has vascular dementia. His wife has AZ. The hospital want to send him home however he can’t weight bear on the foot and get up the stairs. Do the hospital have the right to discharge him, he’s not even had an assessment in there yet.
Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
hi all
Query
My friends father broke his foot and is in hospital, he has vascular dementia. His wife has AZ. The hospital want to send him home however he can’t weight bear on the foot and get up the stairs. Do the hospital have the right to discharge him, he’s not even had an assessment in there yet.
Thank you

Under the circumstances you have outlined - no.

Have a read through
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/hospital-discharge-care.aspx

The end of the document tells you who to complain to if you are not happy with how things are progressing.

Last edited:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
hi all
Query
Thank you

Hi

When my wife (PWD) broke 2 bones in her foot, the hospital initially wanted to put her in a plaster cast, which she would have to avoid weight bearing. I said that no way would she remember to avoid doing so so they agreed to use a removable "boot".

She was able to walk reasonably well with this and I could remove it to wash her feet. The consultant said that she should try and walk without the boot as soon as possible, as the bones would heal quicker, the more pressure you put on them (the x-ray showed there was no displacement). He said that they only immobilise to help with pain relief.

As others have said, I wouldn't think that they should be discharging someone in such circumstances.

Phil