When to have Social Services assessment?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi all, my OH was diagnosed with ALZ 18 months ago and at latest review her score was 16 out of 30 so at about mid point I suppose. As yet I have not had any SS assessment nor indeed have I involved any help from any source but obviously will have to at some time in the future. No idea other than SS who I should inform or seek help from.

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
Hi all, my OH was diagnosed with ALZ 18 months ago and at latest review her score was 16 out of 30 so at about mid point I suppose. As yet I have not had any SS assessment nor indeed have I involved any help from any source but obviously will have to at some time in the future. No idea other than SS who I should inform or seek help from.

Sorry , this is not answering your question - my OH was diagnosed last year but I've never heard of a score - where does that come from ?
I also havent had social services involvement as such but have found Age UK a godsend and very helpful in pointing you in the right direction for example , day care / attendance allowance / council tax rebate etc.

Rosie:)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That's the MMSE (Mini Mental State Examination) score out of 30.

You should involve Social Services and ask for assessments when you think you need them. Would it make your and the PWD's life easier if they could go to a day centre, have respite or sitters/carers, telecare gadgets etc? Then call them and tell them they have duty of care for a vulnerable adult at risk. If you feel you don't need any of that at the moment, fine, but don't wait for a crisis or carers breakdown. Always be a step ahead.

BazArcher

Feb 13, 2016
Lakenheath, Suffolk
If you're feeling in need of a little respite from the "ground hog day" as I call them, ss should be able to arrange day visits and sitters, I was getting to the point of needing such a break and actually popped into my local doctors to explain OH was starting to get to me after nearly 2 yrs and they kindly put me in touch with a team in my local area.
This team is called DIST or dementia intensive support team not sure if you have such a thing in your neck of the woods but they have been fantastic wish I'd done it earlier as they sorted out ss for me and sat with me when ss turned up.
Since then they have arranged one day a week for OH at a local care farm which is only a couple of miles away and ss pay for this which I believe is £55 for 6 hours.
Hope you have the same sort of help where you are.

Baz