Do you have Dementia aware Shops/Banks/Business in your country?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Today I'm attending a Dementia Symposium which one of the Key Speakers is a representative from one of our major Banks here in New Zealand, which is one of the first to become Dementia friendly.
I work for an opposition bank, so I'm quite keen to hear what they have to say and what their practices are.

I would certainly like to report back to my Upper Management and to take note. Especially as financial abuse happens with the banks being able to do little unless a POA noted.

Are there any Dementia friendly businesses in your home town?

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
dementia friendly businesses

Hi linbrusco, yes we do indeed have these. They display a sticker saying 'dementia friendly ' or 'working to become dementia friendly' .

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Today I'm attending a Dementia Symposium which one of the Key Speakers is a representative from one of our major Banks here in New Zealand, which is one of the first to become Dementia friendly.
I work for an opposition bank, so I'm quite keen to hear what they have to say and what their practices are.

I would certainly like to report back to my Upper Management and to take note. Especially as financial abuse happens with the banks being able to do little unless a POA noted.

Are there any Dementia friendly businesses in your home town?

Not exactly a business but a whole town called Kiama on the south coast of New South Wales is implementing a whole range of strategies for the community. They are not only looking at infrastructure but are even employment for PWD. Worth having a look at.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When I took John for a hospital appointment to do with his knee there was a large purple circular sticker on the front of the file. The nurse told me this was to alert staff to the fact he had Alzheimer's and so they would behave accordingly. The same method even digitally could be used by any organisation such as utilities that the person deals with habitually. This could include the name of a spokesperson.

We certainly need more awareness although as ive said before I find people here very understanding and often find they already know someone close to them with the same problem.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I don't know if we have specific "dementia friendly" initiatives, but several years ago, when one of my husband's daughters was visiting, she went shopping in town with him, and came home tearful at the kindness and patience of shop assistants and others. She said everyone they encountered, her dad would talk, and talk, and talk and tell them the whole history of his ancient "clan", and introduce her to them, and she said everyone just engaged with him, and chatted away to him, as if they had all the time in the world. And when it came to paying for things, he had no clue! So he would literally pull out all his money and hold it out to the shop assistant, who would pick through notes and change, take what was needed, and give him any change he was due, and make sure he put his money away safely before he moved away from the counter. Not just small shops, but large supermarkets.

And as for the Bank, when I had to change our Bank, I needed to have a joint account because of my husband's pension. But I didn't have power of Attorney. I explained this to a Customer Service person in the new Bank, and that occasionally my husband could manage to write his name under direction, but most of the time he couldn't, but that in fact, all the bills etc. would be paid by direct debit anyway, and showed him Bank Statements from our old Bank showing that I had been handling our finances for years. I didn't want to go through the Courts to pay hundreds per year, to do what I had already been doing! He looked me in the eye and said "Let's put it this way. If I were to give you the form to take home with you, could you bring it back to me in a couple of days with your husband's name signed on it?" So, we were able to get a joint opened! Another Bank I had approached wouldn't even talk to me! They would only talk to both of us, and my husband would have had to fill out all the forms himself, in the presence of one of their staff.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
We have an app for it in the city I live in listing all the companies that are dementia friendly, it started when Joy Watson set out to make Eccles the first dementia town and then spread through the whole city.
Banks here are covered by laws which govern what they have to do but in the financial abuse are it's sadly lacking.
If someone has not been determined to lack capacity then how can a bank intervene to stop it, make the decision that they think someone is being financially abused or that they lack capacity and refuse them access to their money?
K

http://www.salfordccg.nhs.uk/news-e...ple-in-salford-living-with-the-condition-1602