Shared Holidays - Are They Beneficial?

gillianw

May 17, 2008
Hi All

I have not posted for a few days as we took my mam away to Amsterdam for a short 'mini cruise' holiday (2 nights on a ferry with a day in the city).
I worked my sox's off to get everyone sorted - packed suitcases ,got the euro's, had an hair appointment for my mam, told the social workers that she would be away, cancelled her pill prompts and had 1/2 hour to sort my self out as you do . (I will try to book up earlier next time )

I brought my mam to my house before we went. I insisted that she take a bath (I told her that she wouldn't get one on holiday). She wasn't happy! How guilty I felt when she took her tights off. Her toe nails had got infected. I tried to cut and clean them myself (I had to leave her for a short while to vomit. I can do a lot of things for her but her feet were so bad ... I had just not thought about it and, of course, she hadnt mentioned it. How thick am I?!)

Never mind, she looked FAB when we finished: hair done, make up on, fresh clothes - we were set! We had a great time. She was relaxed and more self confident than usual and we laughed loads. We ate lots of differant things and enjoyed ourselfs. Mam was unusually adventurous with the on-board buffet trying all kinds of new things (Panga Fish, duck, even caviar!).

Now we are back and good times have quickly faded. Mam's self confidence has disappeared. She has quickly lost the sparkle that we briefly saw on holiday. She seems tearful, uninterested in life and lacks the determination to beat the illness that we have seen in the past. She is ringing frquently to say that she is the only person in her block, all the other houses are empty and bolted and there are no people in the street outside.

I realise that his might just be a reflection of a general feeling of loneliness and desertion and I suppose it's understandable having spent a constant 48 hours in our company whilst away.

Bathing and changing (or the lack of) is a worse problem than ever. Where once she would be feisty and determined in insisting she had bathed that day, her response is now a tearful one.

The worst thing is that, having all returned from holiday in a tired state, I feel angry with the illness but this comes over to my mam as being angry towards her. I find that I am having to walk out the room to stop us both becoming more upset.

I love her dearly and this makes my feelings all the more confusing. I can see mam's personality and the illness all rolled into one and it becomes very difficult to seperate the traits of the two. So, for example, when she insists she has eaten when we know she hasn't, is she being defensive or has she just simply forgotten?

I have read loads of stuff on AD but whilst the professions provide useful information I have found that the best practical advice comes from those with first hand experience.

I would welcome any thoughts or comments particularly as to whether others have found that the highs of a holiday have resulted in a downturn upon return to 'normality' (whatever that may be).

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gillian

Full marks to you for all you are trying to do for your mother.

All I can say as far as the holiday is concerned is she enjoyed the moment. That`s what you gave her.

Sadly, the moment she enjoyed will not be in her memory, so she`ll have nothing to look back on.

It`s up to you to decide whether or not a few hours of pleasure for your mother is worth the effort it takes.

The downslide she seems to be experiencing could be disorientation after being with you and having so much company, but who knows.

It really is a catch 22 situation.

Take care xx

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Not trying to hurt feelings, but to be blunt it sounds to me as if she is ready for 24 hour care. You talk of how much help she has, but is there someone there all the time? Perhaps, even tho, she will not remember this is her way of letting you know that she might be ready for that. It would seem that she is saying I trust you totally, now I need more of your time. Just a thought and to this caretaker if that were the truth...well then I don't eny you in any decisions you have to make. Hope all turns out better in the long run.

HUGS

Nancy

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Yes

On and an after thought...are they beneficial? Moms dr. saw a reduction in her progression when she was on vacation with me and an even bigger reduction when she came to live with me. (I made sure she bathed and in essence took on the role of a mother to her...without trying to be noticeable of it:eek:)

HUGS

Nancy

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Gillian,

I can only speak from a personal point of view..I care for my husband..and am with him 24/7.

His feet are my worst nightmare..and up to now he refuses chiropody...:rolleyes:..so it's down to me..I understand your revulsion to the feet!

Secondly..well done for getting mum away...enjoy the memories you have..

Sadly your mum does not remember...

I'd give her time to settle back into her routine..and take it one day at a time. I've learnt with AD that change in routine can be upsetting for sufferers..so while you had the best of intentions..it may just have been a step too far for mum. You weren't to know..we're all on a big learning curve....:)

Love gigi xx

gillianw

May 17, 2008
Thank you

Dear All

A big thankyou to all that have responded to me, we all get down at times mine must be today. I agree with all your comments my mind is dizzy today with thinking ( my mam has this all of the time she does well to get through each day i am proud of her. )

It may be time to have a move, it might be easer if she were to live with me she is very comfortable around me.

Did any of you take your loved ones around care homes with you to deciede together or did you make the decision on your own? (with help from GP and Socail workers ect )

We did have a lovely time and yes I will remember for longer than my mam and yes it just might have been too much for her , and then to go back to her house must be not nice. She has been with me for sunday lunch I do love her and I have to keep remembering that she loves me to.

Thankyou again .

gillianw

PS I wish I could post a picture of us living that good life on our holiday I just dont how to..:D I will have to ask my daughter to advise me how to,,,,,,,