Happiness and Alzheimers

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Ok...just going to go on a whim here. Work with me. Alzheimers is not a happy disease and yes it robs the loved one of his true emotions,but those of you caring for an AD patient are there moments that they laugh with you and you expect it? Have they surprised you with a laugh when you knew it may not be possible.

Mom ceased to really have emotions about October of last year. I can tho' distictly remember 2 occasions when she broke out laughing..and both were in the movies...

the first was at a scene towards the end of "Evan Almighty" ...don't remember the scene but would recognize it. Took us all that she laughede at it since she was a devout Sunday person.

The second was at "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie at christmas time. that was when he was caught in the dishwasher taking a shower. We were all laughing.

I guess the point I am thinking is that emotions do come thru..a little. I like to think she was laughing because she wanted to and not to immitate the crowd. Those 2 memories brighten my days.

Any memories from the "peanut gallery"

HUGS

Nancy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Interesting question!

Because John lost his language very early on, he lost the ability to understand verbal jokes -- very hard for me, because I love verbal jokes.

But he never lost his ability to appreciate visual jokes, and would laugh at silly comedy on the TV, things he would once have scorned.

Even now, when he has almost no capacity left, he can still wake up and laugh when one of his carers teases him. I don't think for a minute he understands what she is saying, but he responds to her broad grin.

I can sometimes do it too, but she can do it every time!:(

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Skye

that is interesting in itself to me. I could get moms attention, but not always make her smile. Her hospice nurse tho, when she walked in the room moms' eyes would brighten and she became very aware and would smile for her. Elise could do this also.

To me when that nurse walked in the house it was like abreath of fresh air. She was easy to talk to, very down to earth and very caring. I think that the nurses that care for patients in this "mode" have to be special and I think in their own way the AD patient knows this.

HUGS

Nancy

PS....I can honestly say tho', wish she would have laughed at one of my jokes, but then she very rarely laughed. She always had this small grin that looked as if she were keeping the laughter inside.:eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Nancy

Although my husband is dreadfully unhappy with his condition, he still has his sense of humour and it`s a pleasure for me to see him smile and hear him laugh.

We are lucky so far that he still has his language and his emotions.

He loves old situation comedy programmes, `Dads Army` `Only Fools and Horses`. I don`t suppose you know of them Nancy, but they were and still are very popular.

We can also share a joke, we laugh about silly things, and cry together...... about this horrible illness and what it does to him.

Love xx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Ron laugh's in his sleep

Oh does he laugh:)
He has some happy dream's. I wake and hear him, it makes me smile:)
He also laugh,s at film,s like Airplane:)
Yes those moment,s are a pleasure:)
Barb & Ron XX

Ruby

Oct 25, 2005
Australia
You've got to laugh!

I can appreciate this!

My mum has always been a reserved, serious person; she couldn't tolerate teasing nor slightly blue humour.

We have a giggle together over things that I didn't ever think we would! Often times it's a funny thing or word she's said mistakenly (in her difficulty to find the right words) and a word that might be a bit (accidentally) risque.

You've got to laugh!

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
Sadly my husband Rupert has lost most of his understanding and doesn't enjoy the tv and never laughs any more, though very occasionally he does still smile.

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Today was a good day...

Mum was all smiles and kisses (she must have been in a very good place today in her head;)). Lots of the time we can get no response from her, she has lost most of her language skills.

Can so relate to this from Skye

when one of his carers teases him. I don't think for a minute he understands what she is saying, but he responds to her broad grin.

There is one particular carer that can always get a smile from Mum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5