Attendance allowance question

PINK AVOCET

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks again to all, I've noted lots of important points. Just plotting with mum now - on my next visit how do we get dad out of the room for long enough to discuss things properly.
Concerning the certified copy of PoA, there isn't a local job centre anywhere near where they live but there is a small local chartered accountancy firm my mum knows so I'm thinking maybe they could do it. They are a couple of hours' drive from a big town and dad was the main driver....

Singing Friend

Nov 5, 2014
London
Just to add to all the rest of the excellent advice ...

I did the forms for my mum about eighteen months ago when she was still living at home (with my sister and her family who had moved in). She was still coping in lots of ways, but needed support and help, so not so different from your dad. I live about 270 miles away, but I have PoA for her as when she completed the forms years ago it never occurred to her to name more than one of us!

Anyway I got some really good help from AgeUK local to me, so if you fill in the forms you could probably get help locally if you want to. I'm quite good at filling in forms but the adviser knew lots of things to include which I probably wouldn't have thought about.

I didn't think she'd get the higher rate but she did, and the reply came back really quickly. She started getting the money within a couple of weeks of my sending in the form. Oh, and they sent back the certified copy of the PoA by return of post, so I had it for the next thing!

Singing Friend

Nov 5, 2014
London
Concerning the certified copy of PoA

When you get around to getting a certified copy I'd think about asking for several! I got five in the first place and then when most of those disappeared into the depths of various banks, etc, I asked the solicitor for five more. The best thing is they didn't charge me at all for the extra copies ...! Though they are a firm which my mum (and dad before her) has dealt with for years.

It's reassuring to know that if/when I send a copy off I'm not letting go of the only copy I have!

carlton ann

Feb 13, 2016
I would also add that when I sent the original enduring power of attorney off ( the old POA ) I asked that they advise the retirement pension section of this document. The original was returned by the AA staff and yes they notified the pensions and it all ran smoothly