Today my dad goes into a care home

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
It has been a very very very tough few months. My dad has been in and out of hospital with a fall at home causing bleed on brain that stopped and with a suspected chest Infection
He is only 76 and has had vascular dementia for 7 years. I fear these are the last stages he is in.
My mother 78 has refused care and dealt as much as possible on her own , until his last stay in hospital where me and my two older brothers both spoke to nurses etc about the fact our mother couldn't look after him as he needed.
He came home but for the last two weeks has hardly eaten any puréed food or kept any drink down at all. He constantly is coughing up amazing amounts of saliva / spit , I mean cup loads. It will stop then start next day again.
Me and my wife have spoken with social services , Drs and all sorts of people. Dr s have said there is nothing medically wrong with him!!
My mum through much tears agreed a care home would be best, and found one she liked with my eldest brother.
They visited from the home to asses my dad but said due to the amount of spit he had, they felt he needed hospital and wouldn't take him yet. The social got a nurse to come out and she said three is nothing medically wrong with him he just needs care, so the home agrees to have him on a 4 week trial. It's awful how no one can clearly tell you what is what.
This has all nearly killed my mum. She is 78 and to be honest , although she is devastated, she has said she just wants him gone ..... and she has become very selfish , which has upset us allas we now never get a Thankyou or anything from her.
My father goes to this home today at 3pm. Mum and brother are taking him. I am quite numb to everything now as it all seems so strange , father now ways about 6 stone. Was about 12 last year.
Just wanted to share all of this as me and my wife and 4 kids have watched this all happening , and it has broken all our hearts. Losing dad to this disease and my mother becoming a selfish lady through no fault of her own

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Colls, I'm so sorry that you Dad is struggling. It is just possible that his going to the CH might actually help a bit. If he is continuing to aspirate food, this will be causing the excessive mucus. The carers may be able to position Dad when feeding to help to relieve this. If it persists, then the GP may ask for referrals from the Salt team.

I suspect that your Mum is scared stiff.... she is scared that she is losing her life partner, she is scared that she is doing something wrong. She is scared that she will be blamed. She is scared that she will "catch" this terrible illness and end up like him. She is scared he is in pain...... all this comes out as agression. All you can do for her is to give her a hug and tell her what a wonderful job she has done and how brave she is letting Dad go into the home for the help he needs.
I hope you have been able to discuss the financial side with the Social Workers.
Good Luck.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I hope that today went as well as these things possibly can. As above, your Mum is most likely worn out, emotional, scared and guilty, all in one so I hope that she manages to regain some peace for herself and is able to form a new sort of hands off caring role for your Dad.

Last edited:

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I hope that today went as well as these things possibly can. As above, your Mum is most likely worn out, emotional, scared and guilty, all in one so I hope that she manages to regain some peace for herself and is able to form a new sort of hands off caring role for your Dad.

I hope everything went well for you today. It will take some time for your Dad to settle in. Talk to the staff and get advice re visiting. Your Mum is probably worn out and grieving. If you live nearby try to support and encourage her.

Aisling xx

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
My heart is with you and your family trying to get through this, you will get through it though.

It may be that with your mum stressed and grieving that she needs to visit her doctor as well. You are keeping an eye on her but she may need some medical help as well as rest, to overcome this and to start her changed relationship with your dad.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I hope your dad is settling in to the home and I also recommend you ask for SALT (speech and language team) help in case the mucus is something they can help with.

Keep an eye on your mum over the next few months - I've seen on here time and time again that carers can get quite ill shortly after their caring role changes. It is almost as if they know they can't be ill and then it all catches up with them when they don't have to do everything any more. I hope she can adapt to the difference without too much heartache.

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
Continuing on from my last post, my dad went into a care home 4 weeks ago, initially to see if suitable . In the three weeks we he was in his weight has detiorated to nearly 4 stone . We have found him sitting I. His room soaked in pee, and has had 3 falls resulting in cuts to head and bruises. We finally got him to hospital 3 days ago. He was severely dehydrated, his kidneys are not working properly and his bloods are all out of sink. When he went into the home he could get about, all he it not to quickly. Now he can't walk in any way, and does. Or speak hardly. It has destroyed me and my wife and kids aswell as my two older brothers and not to say our mother. Currently he is laying in a bed with a drip for fluids and a glucose drip. They can't get him to take
Any medicines for his throat relaxant. It is so so so sad. What can we expect from here? Drs are due to speak to my mother tomorrow as currently it is bank holiday.a and e said to me they may want to tube him to feed him, and I do not think this would be fair, but my mum says if they say that then she thinks it would be a good idea ?? We are just on hold. Our lives have stopped and we just wait every day. Any advice or insight into what is happening here would be welcomed.he had a fall
And bleed on brain in June, pneumonia in April, and both had stays in hospital. And I have to say that the actual advice and support for my mum from social services to the n h s to her own dr has been an absolute nightmare !!! So so so complicated to get one person to listen and help. I demanded Drs wentnro my dad's home to take bloods a week before he went to hospital, they did not go until 5 days later. Had they done this sooner they would have seen the bloods. The dr that took bloods did not even mention he was severely dehydrated and it was ourselves that demanded he went to hospital, and when the paramedics turned up, they said just looking at him it is obvious he is not well and said that ANY dr should have called an ambulance. Not even the care home suggested it. Considering dementia and Alzheimer's is going to be he biggest thing going, why do so called trained professionals know what to do or what to look for ?? It's so bad :confused::mad:

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
My heart is with you and your family trying to get through this, you will get through it though.

It may be that with your mum stressed and grieving that she needs to visit her doctor as well. You are keeping an eye on her but she may need some medical help as well as rest, to overcome this and to start her changed relationship with your dad.

Thankyou for this comment I had not seen it. Things have changed drastically , I will paste my most recent update

Continuing on from my last post, my dad went into a care home 4 weeks ago, initially to see if suitable . In the three weeks we he was in his weight has detiorated to nearly 4 stone . We have found him sitting I. His room soaked in pee, and has had 3 falls resulting in cuts to head and bruises. We finally got him to hospital 3 days ago. He was severely dehydrated, his kidneys are not working properly and his bloods are all out of sink. When he went into the home he could get about, all he it not to quickly. Now he can't walk in any way, and does. Or speak hardly. It has destroyed me and my wife and kids aswell as my two older brothers and not to say our mother. Currently he is laying in a bed with a drip for fluids and a glucose drip. They can't get him to take
Any medicines for his throat relaxant. It is so so so sad. What can we expect from here? Drs are due to speak to my mother tomorrow as currently it is bank holiday.a and e said to me they may want to tube him to feed him, and I do not think this would be fair, but my mum says if they say that then she thinks it would be a good idea ?? We are just on hold. Our lives have stopped and we just wait every day. Any advice or insight into what is happening here would be welcomed.he had a fall
And bleed on brain in June, pneumonia in April, and both had stays in hospital. And I have to say that the actual advice and support for my mum from social services to the n h s to her own dr has been an absolute nightmare !!! So so so complicated to get one person to listen and help. I demanded Drs wentnro my dad's home to take bloods a week before he went to hospital, they did not go until 5 days later. Had they done this sooner they would have seen the bloods. The dr that took bloods did not even mention he was severely dehydrated and it was ourselves that demanded he went to hospital, and when the paramedics turned up, they said just looking at him it is obvious he is not well and said that ANY dr should have called an ambulance. Not even the care home suggested it. Considering dementia and Alzheimer's is going to be he biggest thing going, why do so called trained professionals know what to do or what to look for ?? It's so bad :confused::mad:

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
Thank you

Thank you for this comment i had not had time to reply but thank you

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hi Colls10,

I hope your mum can get some answers today, or an indication of what can be done for your dad.

My mum had severe dehydration and her GP thought she was dying - the hospital did nothing for her for several hours because they didn't realise how she normally was and had no doctor to assess her. She went into hospital at 4pm and didn't get IV fluids until 11.30pm. The difference in her the next day was incredible.

They just assumed that she was always like that and after that day I made sure everyone knew "she's not normally like this, she can normally do...."

There was a safeguarding meeting at home because no-one had noticed how dehydrated she had become, not my dad, not the carers, not the doctor.

From the sounds of it you won't want your dad to go back to that care home, is anyone aware that there is a safeguarding issue there?

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
Hi Colls10,

I hope your mum can get some answers today, or an indication of what can be done for your dad.

My mum had severe dehydration and her GP thought she was dying - the hospital did nothing for her for several hours because they didn't realise how she normally was and had no doctor to assess her. She went into hospital at 4pm and didn't get IV fluids until 11.30pm. The difference in her the next day was incredible.

They just assumed that she was always like that and after that day I made sure everyone knew "she's not normally like this, she can normally do...."

There was a safeguarding meeting at home because no-one had noticed how dehydrated she had become, not my dad, not the carers, not the doctor.

From the sounds of it you won't want your dad to go back to that care home, is anyone aware that there is a safeguarding issue there?
Thanks for this.

At the moment , we are trying to focus on dad and mum? But there is a lot of anger regards the care home, especially as the support manager there , when I said to her how horrid the illness was, said to me THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ANYMORE which I actually find bad, as although my dad is in last stages , he still recognises his family and very occasionally we be able to make a little sense .

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
Hospital meeting today

Today , me and my wife, my mum and one of my brothers atended the hospital where my dad currently is after a short 3 week stay in a care home saw his weight and health and hydration come crashing down .
He is on a saline drip and a glucose and vitamin drip.
Today , the Drs took us into a room to say that my dad had gone down hill over night? And an x Ray shows pnumoniea in both lungs.
When he went in via a and e 5 days ago, he had no chest infection. They believe he has aspirated again. The dr then said they don't feel he is going to make this one. Last time he has pnumonia in may and July , he was about 3 stone heavier. He is currently about 5 stone with no muscles left and is a Skelton of a man. It's soul destroying . They are giving him i v anti biotics to see if it will help.
There was talk of feeding him with an NG tube , and I was very worried about this as I could not see how this would be beneficial for him. Now they say, if by chance , he was to get ober this, they would consider risk feeding, knowing that he could aspirated again.
My mum seemed shocked today to hear that he may not make this. To be honest , I and my wife wondered just how long this horrid nasty torment could wreak its havoc on my former strong workhorse father. So as sad as it is, knew soon we would hear this.
We are all so sad and low from this
Just an update to my father, battle of vascular dementia

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Today , me and my wife, my mum and one of my brothers atended the hospital where my dad currently is after a short 3 week stay in a care home saw his weight and health and hydration come crashing down .
He is on a saline drip and a glucose and vitamin drip.
Today , the Drs took us into a room to say that my dad had gone down hill over night? And an x Ray shows pnumoniea in both lungs.
When he went in via a and e 5 days ago, he had no chest infection. They believe he has aspirated again. The dr then said they don't feel he is going to make this one. Last time he has pnumonia in may and July , he was about 3 stone heavier. He is currently about 5 stone with no muscles left and is a Skelton of a man. It's soul destroying . They are giving him i v anti biotics to see if it will help.
There was talk of feeding him with an NG tube , and I was very worried about this as I could not see how this would be beneficial for him. Now they say, if by chance , he was to get ober this, they would consider risk feeding, knowing that he could aspirated again.
My mum seemed shocked today to hear that he may not make this. To be honest , I and my wife wondered just how long this horrid nasty torment could wreak its havoc on my former strong workhorse father. So as sad as it is, knew soon we would hear this.
We are all so sad and low from this
Just an update to my father, battle of vascular dementia
So sorry to hear this. My husband died in 2015, of aspiration pneumonia. It didn't respond to antibiotics. After talking to the doctors, I decided against both NG and peg feeding, as I felt they would just prolong his death, and as he was quite "fidgety" there was no way he would leave the tubes etc. alone, which would lead to infection. His swallow was so poor, that although food & liquids could be pureed/thickened, the doctors explained that he was also likely to aspirate some saliva.

A very hard time for you and your family. Thoughts are with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
Thank you for your response.
It has been such a rollercoaster of a journey to now. I have been out of work for over a year and this partly due to the emotional stress and being in hand . Not easy with 4 young kids aswell.'my wife returned to work to help us out. Today I have had to enter into a debt management plan as everything has just spiralled out of control, and to top it off I am re training as an accountant , and this may now impact on my future career, so all in al, tough times.
We are going to visit my father in shifts now, one in morn one in afternoon and rest in eve as hospital have said we can visit when we want now.
So sorry to hear of your loss aswell to this awful illness. Hope you are doing ok

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Sounds like you're having a really tough time. Please keep us updated. I hope your dad is comfortable at the moment.

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
Following on

Just want to continue to share what has happened. We had the meeting with the de. As above, dr didn't think he would make it through this pnumonia , but said they would treat with antibiotics I v but prepare for the worst. My dad also had an oxygen mask on with maximum flow.
None of us slept that night on Wednesday. Then Thursday ,we went to see him. He was sitting up, no oxygen mask, I' v antibiotics off, and talking , all be it making no sense. Had a better colour?? We were shocked and emotionally confused.
Me and my wife spoke to the dr and he said he was shocked that may dad had been strong enough to turn over night, and no longer needed oxygen and they were now trying to give him antibiotics orally. The dr did say , that they are going to stop the fluids , as if he goes back into the community , he wouldn't have fluids on a drip. Thing is my dad is t drinking at all or eating anything all bar maybe half a yoghurt .
Last night me and my wife went to see him, and He sounded very chesty and rattley. He makes little sense but I held his hand and he asked if I could get everyone together ?? That's me mum my two brothers and my wife. He then smiled and said I KNOW YOU CAN!! Course you can !! And then , started calling out to his mum?? Who has been dead for many years .
Today , me and my wife arrived at hospital, and we sat with him. I held his hand and looked into his eyes, and he then smiled , and though his chestyness , said I WILL BE BACK YOU ******, you know I will! !!! Then my mum and one of my brothers arrived , and he held our hands, counted how many were there, and said GOOD, THIS IS NICE, NOW YOU CAN ALL DO WHAT YOU WANT ! He keeps apologising aswell. It's so strange. My mum then kept saying to him that he needs to start drinking, and he said STOP.could this be that he is making some peace with us all and wants us all there, and knows he doesn't want to drink and prolong anything ??? It's so so sad, but he is smiling more, but nothing to him. You can see his ribs, throat, spine, and we noticed his fingers have gone purple and his nails looking black. We just want peace for him now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
However hard it is for you it`s lovely to know your dad is aware you are all with him. He must feel well loved, safe and secure.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Colls10
your dad sounds to be a lovely, loving family man - as Grannie G says, he is clearly gaining comfort from knowing you are all together
I don't know what is happening with him; I just do feel that if there is anything you want to say to him, now is the time, so he hears and you know it was said
best wishes to all of you

Colls10

Jun 27, 2017
hi Colls10
your dad sounds to be a lovely, loving family man - as Grannie G says, he is clearly gaining comfort from knowing you are all together
I don't know what is happening with him; I just do feel that if there is anything you want to say to him, now is the time, so he hears and you know it was said
best wishes to all of you

Thankyou all for the kind words

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey