She wasn't just my mum, lost my best friend.

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
On Tuesday my mum passed away after a major stroke. As she'd had TIAs which had lead to her dementia I knew this was likely at some point.

Not started to call extended family yet - don't know how to do it over the phone - I've told a dear friend of my mums face-to-face but being able to hold each other helped so much and I can't do this on the phone. My hubby has said he'd help, but these are people he's never met and who don't know him. I'm keeping putting it off, but now I know the funeral arrangements I know I should tell them so they can plan to be there if they want to be.

Ameliasgran

Nov 7, 2016
On Tuesday my mum passed away after a major stroke. As she'd had TIAs which had lead to her dementia I knew this was likely at some point.

Not started to call extended family yet - don't know how to do it over the phone - I've told a dear friend of my mums face-to-face but being able to hold each other helped so much and I can't do this on the phone. My hubby has said he'd help, but these are people he's never met and who don't know him. I'm keeping putting it off, but now I know the funeral arrangements I know I should tell them so they can plan to be there if they want to be.

Hi
I care for my mum, although she is in a home, I visit 5 days a week. I have fallen out with siblings and mums grandchildren because of their lack of support and reluctance to visit. I made mum 3 promises when she was first diagnosed, to always be there, to sort out all her stuff and never let her be moved away from me. Those promises have cost me my family but still have my mum. She is my best friend and always supported me, I would do anything to protect her. I cannot comprehend your loss but really do send my love and support. It's tough! I know, I am losing mum bit by bit. x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland

Rachael this is such a very hard time for you. Let your new husband help. He may not have met the relatives yet, but part of being married is supporting the other at times like this. That's what he's offering to do. Support you by taking some of the hard stuff off your shoulders. You've lost your mum, but she hasn't left you all alone. And your husband is part of her family too, now. He's her son in law. Let him take his place in the family by helping you with this. It's hard enough.

Rachael81

Dec 31, 2015
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Rachael this is such a very hard time for you. Let your new husband help. He may not have met the relatives yet, but part of being married is supporting the other at times like this. That's what he's offering to do. Support you by taking some of the hard stuff off your shoulders. You've lost your mum, but she hasn't left you all alone. And your husband is part of her family too, now. He's her son in law. Let him take his place in the family by helping you with this. It's hard enough.

In my foggy headedness I hadn't thought of it like this, thank you.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
When my Mum died, I did phone her close friends but wrote a "round robin" letter to everyone else detailing funeral arrangements and details for donations in her memory. I am so sorry for your loss. Go slowly xx