Coping with PWD and bereavement

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My partner was diagnosed with ALZ 18 months ago and decline has been very slow but since her youngest son, at the age of 49, took his own life last October grief is overwhelming everything. We do go away caravanning which she says she enjoys but once away wants to be home again.
During a very lucid period whist away she poured her heart out about her grief and how it hurts and said she needs time alone to grieve properly whithout me to fuss and worry. As we had booked for 6 weeks in Spain during next January / February she went on to say that she wants to stay home while I go alone, something I am loathe to do but sorely tempted. She has three other sons no of whom is willing to share caring but she insists that she is capable and probably is to be honest.
Why question is what sort of help might be out there (UK) to support her if I do go. My own family say I need the respite as I am 75 years young and have, as they say, a life still to be lived. Talk bout a quandary.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
My partner was diagnosed with ALZ 18 months ago and decline has been very slow but since her youngest son, at the age of 49, took his own life last October grief is overwhelming everything. We do go away caravanning which she says she enjoys but once away wants to be home again.
During a very lucid period whist away she poured her heart out about her grief and how it hurts and said she needs time alone to grieve properly whithout me to fuss and worry. As we had booked for 6 weeks in Spain during next January / February she went on to say that she wants to stay home while I go alone, something I am loathe to do but sorely tempted. She has three other sons no of whom is willing to share caring but she insists that she is capable and probably is to be honest.
Why question is what sort of help might be out there (UK) to support her if I do go. My own family say I need the respite as I am 75 years young and have, as they say, a life still to be lived. Talk bout a quandary.

If you're planning on going away by yourself for several weeks leaving your partner with ALZ at home alone, then I'd certainly be thinking of arranging for someone to pop in on a regular basis just to check she's OK and to keep an eye on her. Even if you have to arrange for a paid carer to be calling in on a few occasions.

After all, what would happen in the event of an emergency - you have to consider the possibility if that happening.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Agzy,

There also sounds unresolved grief. Organisations worth contacting are Cruse or The Compassionate Friends. Suicide is a dreadful aspect to deal with. It is even harder when it is the youngest in the family. Please contact them. Cruse are very helpful. You can phone them and they will contact your partner.

Agree with the other poster that your partner should not be left without support whilst you are away.

Kind regards.