My husband's been diagnosed with vascular dementia

Caroleca

Jan 11, 2014
Ontario canada
There are others that will give you advice to come...it is very late in the uk ...I just didn't want to read and run....you will find the forum very informative and supportive...hang in there. And welcome to tp

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
What happens now and how do i cope and what can i do to help him x

Hello Handfasting. Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. It is an awful thing to happen to anyone, but there is help out there. Were you given anything at all when he got the diagnosis. Advice from Alzheimers Society is a very good place to start. They will help help in all sorts of ways and will know the answers
to most questions. If they don't know they will know someone who does. Age UK are very good also.If your husband is functioning quite well and you are able to have as near as possible 'normal life' then do try to enjoy yourselves and do things just as you always have. But you need to make yourself known. Alzheimers here where I live made an appointment for someone to visit and to this day that same lady rings me to see how I am. (My husband is in a nursing home now.) But he was diagnosed 10 years ago so we had a few years before it started to cause a lot of problems. There are courses that they offer for carers to go to, with other people in the same situation as you, and I found it helpful and nice to meet with others.Welcome to talking point and keep posting. Good luck.xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
What happens now and how do i cope and what can i do to help him x
Was anything said to you when the diagnosis was given. When my wife was diagnosed a few months ago the consultant said he would have a dementia nurse contact us. Nothing seemed to happen for several weeks and then a 'Dementia Navigator', rather than nurse, contacted us and gave us full details of what to do next and where to go for info/help. The support is certainly available in my area.

Good luck to you both.

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Sorry to hear your news. My wife was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia last October. Up till then she had slight memory problems but could even drive. Now she needs help to get washed, dressed, eat and with toilet etc. But the rate of decline is very variable I understand. I suggest use the links given. Phone the helpline and Google vascular dementia. I had never heard of it till last October and wish I did not know about it now. But there is much help, encouragement and advice on here, so I respectfully suggest ask all the questions you have.

Sorry to put so much bad news, but best to be prepared. My suggestion is help your husband to continue with whatever he enjoys. The more he can do for himself the better for both of you.

Best wishes, Clunchman.

Handfasting

Jul 26, 2017
Thank you aĺl for your comments i found them very helpful and i have made a few phone calls and that is form help with you all xxx