It was only a minor thing

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
It was only a minor thing but boy did I find it stressful. It was about 11 o'clock this morning and OH came into the kitchen with blood all over his mouth and hands and down his shirt. I was calm at this point and cleaned him up and checked him over. I hadn't heard him coughing so guessed (hoped) it wasn't blood that he had brought up. I checked his teeth but they seemed okay. Then I noticed the blood seemed to be coming from his lip. I dabbed at it and saw that the blood just kept on coming. I asked him if he'd cut himself shaving. Of course, he didn't know. There was no blood on the razor.

I put his hankie over his lip and told him to hold it there for a while. After a few seconds he moved the hankie to his nose saying that his nose was bleeding. I explained that it wasn't his nose but his lip and tried to get him to hold the hankie to his lip. He said the blood was in his mouth and he was going to rinse his mouth. He came back a few minutes later saying that he had blood on the towel and didn't know where it was coming from. He also had another shirt on which was also now spattered with blood. I couldn't believe how much blood was coming from this tiny split on his lip. I tried holding it myself hoping that would stop it, but he kept pulling away and going and rinsing his mouth.

I felt it should stop soon as it was only a small cut, but four hours later I was on the phone to the doctors surgery. They said to bring him down and they'd check him out but that he may need to go to A&E. I had to wait three quarters of an hour for a taxi. In the meantime we'd now gone through four shirts, five towels and countless hankies.

We waited another hour in the surgery with a bag of tissues, but at least while there I managed to get him eventually to hold and keep the hankie on his lip. He still managed though to get more spots of red on his shirt.

So when we eventually saw the doctor it had stopped. He told her he wasn't sure why he had come. But at least she gave me that knowing sympathetic look.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Your house must look like the site of a massacre, jenniferjean. Not a small thing as it has caused you anxiety and frustration for hours and now you have a major clean up on top of everything else. Hope you get a quiet night and can rest.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
So is your husband on any blood thinners like warfarin and aspirin?

OH is on both and a few months ago he had a huge nose bleed which went on for three hours. I took him into emergency and he had to have a vein in his nose cauterized. His shirt was covered in blood which I left on him as I thought it might get him into treatment a little sooner. He looked terrible as he was bruised from where he had applied pressure to try and get it to stop. There were the few jokes about how I had given him a punch in the nose.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Yes, he is on aspirin. I didn't realise they were blood thinners but I now know they are.
I just felt so inadequate.

I just want someone to hold me and tell me it's going be alright. - but they aint' gonna happen.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Yes, he is on aspirin. I didn't realise they were blood thinners but I now know they are.
I just felt so inadequate.

I just want someone to hold me and tell me it's going be alright. - but they aint' gonna happen.

Aw, I know that feeling Jenniferjean. It does sound very scary, but can only send sympathy and hope you are both ok now.

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
My deepest sympathy Jenniferjean. Having been in a situation where I was at first unable to help my wife I have an idea how you feel.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Another bleed

So OH ended up in emergency last night with another nosebleed. The other nostril this time.

After 5 hours of not being able to stop the bleeding they put in a rapid rhino, a plug that is coated with an coagulant and that they inflate to exert pressure on the source of the bleed, and a very painful procedure apparently.

His blood pressure skyrocketed, always had been low and so he was admitted ovjernight.
He looks very miserable and his speech is very slurred and he is not hungry for the first time in his life!

We are now waiting for ENT consultant to see him and they are talking about taking him off the warfarin and aspirin and putting him on one of the new generation of alternatives.

So I gather that there are the usual pros and cons about the new warfarin alternatives and it will be interesting to see what happens. He had an internal bleed a bit over two years ago, the first nosebleed a few months ago and now this.

I think he is getting scared about these bleeds and maybe it would be good for his mental health if he does switch to a new one.

I'm going back in after lunch so hopefully we can see how things are.