This horrible heat

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
It's nice for young people, but not so good for old people in a dementia home.

This post is really just to share my worries, but any replies will be welcome. If not, thanks for reading.

I went in on Monday & noticed that Mum was very hot. One of the carers reminded me that Mum's nighties are all very warm & thick & I remembered that I'd rescued a cotton nightie from a rubbish pile in her shed and washed it, and went home to get it. (But in fact I discovered later that Mum just used her usual solution - strip naked at night time...) On my way out the second time, I mentioned my worry about the heat to a carer and she said there was an electric fan she could have.

Today, I went in with a new short-sleeved cotton nightie I'd bought for her & found her in bed and very under the weather. The electric fan was by her bed & I put it on, but was alarmed by Mum's decline in cognitive skills.
The carers said she'd been complaining of a pain in her side - which felt hard to them - and they suspected constipation. The doctor will be coming tomorrow lunchtime. I got Mum up & changed her into the nightie, which looks very like a summer dress & was preferable to the long sleeved polo shirt and aertex vest she was dressed in - I suspect she'd dressed herself this morning.

I got her to drink a glass of dilute orange juice & nearly all of a cup of tea with sugar but I had to urge her to drink the whole time. When I finally got her to go to the loo, I noticed that her urine was very dark, confirming my idea that it's dehydration in the heat that's caused the problem, which may be a UTI as well as constipation - Mum has been a sufferer from cystitis all her life. I showed the carer the evidence and explained about the cystitis.

She was very lacklustre at first when I read to her from the memory books but after the drink seemed to perk up a bit. I rang up after tea - Mum had eaten a little, but not much, but when I said again about the possible dehydration, the carer said they'd test for a UTI and also 'push fluids'.

I'll ring tomorrow morning, and again after the doctor's been, and go in tomorrow afternoon, but for now I've done all I can do.

All the same, I can't help worrying - though I feel a lot better now I've told you all about it.

Even when the loved one is in a care home, the carer can never really switch off...

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The heat must be awful for people like your mum. I hope it cools down soon and your mum picks up from this infection.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Would she 'eat' ice pole type lolly/would the home accommodate you having some in the freezer for her?
Last year mums home had the paddling pools out,water pistols to,play with and iced water being taken round -at least when I was there- every hour on the hour during the hot spells.
Ros

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
The heat has been bad and don't mind admitting I am a bit worried about my mum too, she has drank very little apart from a few cups of tea this morning and half a glass of Lemonade this afternoon. So tomorrow I am going to make some ice lollies with watered orange juice. Hopefully I will be able to get her to take a few of these tomorrow.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Hi all,

Mum's care home had just ordered in 20 new fans for the residents and the handyman was busy getting them all ready. A lovely young carer came around with ice lollies and the residents seemed to really enjoy them. Also lots of glasses of cold water and cups of tea all around.

So grateful for the wonderful people that look after our loved ones, they keep cheerful even-though they themselves were struggling with the heat.

Hope your Mum will be feeling a lot better soon......

Pauline
xxx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
my dad tends not to drink enough, especially in hot weather, so I took him some watermelon along with some no-cook goodies for his meals. He said he wasn't hungry when I got there but after having a slice of watermelon which he pronounced "very refreshing" he ate a pastie for lunch. And then had a coffee.

So I'm off to buy more watermelon tomorrow :)

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
My Mum lives with me but I have found it hard to keep on top of making sure she is hydrated. I make sure she is given drinks regularly but when I bring in the next one I remove one that has half the original quantity left.

My Mum does wash and dress herself but also notice that in this overpowering weather she insists on wearing a cardigan and scarf round her neck and will not be parted from them. I am pleased to hear the experience that some of you have had with Care homes. Paddling pools and water pistol sound great fun and how inventive.

LilyJ

Apr 13, 2017
Just can't get our PWD to drink in rhe afternoons & she insists on staying upstairs sitting in the West facing window; when she comes down for her meal she can hardly move & struggles to eat! But what can you do...... She says she doesn't feel hot nor thirsty; presumably that's the dementia inhibiting her senses. Sigh!

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
father out of it when hot

I have noticed how my father is completely out of it when it is really hot. I think that people are investigating fever and its place in the dementia jigsaw. All day he just sat under a tree 'reading ' . It was an incredible struggle to get him to remove his tie. I didn't even try to get him to take the vest off.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Mum continued to complain of a pain in her side even after she'd had a motion this morning. They've not had a chance to test her urine. The nurse practitioner wondered if the pain was related to her chest, not her abdomen, as her oxygen levels were low & she had a crackle. So she's been in a & e all afternoon, having tests - the duty doctor wonders if it's actually bowel-related & she'll have to stay in hospital tonight for observation.

Mum was very dehydrated so is having a saline drip, as well as drips of paracetamol and anti-biotics for the bowel infection.

She's very confused & I'm continually watching her so that she doesn't tear her canula out like she did last autumn.

John's been home for his tea, and I'm having mine now - then back to a & e.

This heat really is horrible!!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Mum continued to complain of a pain in her side even after she'd had a motion this morning. They've not had a chance to test her urine. The nurse practitioner wondered if the pain was related to her chest, not her abdomen, as her oxygen levels were low & she had a crackle. So she's been in a & e all afternoon, having tests - the duty doctor wonders if it's actually bowel-related & she'll have to stay in hospital tonight for observation.

Mum was very dehydrated so is having a saline drip, as well as drips of paracetamol and anti-biotics for the bowel infection.

She's very confused & I'm continually watching her so that she doesn't tear her canula out like she did last autumn.

John's been home for his tea, and I'm having mine now - then back to a & e.

This heat really is horrible!!!

My dad's okay but I am just watching his sugar levels because of his diabetes!

MaNaAk

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Mum does have a UTI and her urine is still very dark, despite the two saline drips & water by her bedside. The main problem is a pulmonary embolism, though, that they're going to treat with heparin. It's such a relief to know this time round that she's ended up in hospital that she can go back to a care home where there's always someone there to see to her.

The weather is slightly cooler, but from now on, whenever there's a heat wave, I'll make a point of going in and plying Mum with water and soft drinks!

I went out & bought two more short sleeved cotton nighties for Mum today, though at present she's wearing hospital nighties so I'll probably leave it till Mum goes back to her Care Home.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Much cooler here, very windy but still no storm. Relief for you that the hospital have pin pointed the problems and quick to treat, hope she improves in the next few days. So much worry and anxiety with this illness with carers trying to do their best. Personally I hope there will not be another heatwave this year.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Much cooler here, very windy but still no storm. Relief for you that the hospital have pin pointed the problems and quick to treat, hope she improves in the next few days. So much worry and anxiety with this illness with carers trying to do their best. Personally I hope there will not be another heatwave this year.

Thanks very much, Tin.
And thanks for all the other replies on this thread.

Very best wishes to you all for a pleasant weekend.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I know that when it gets hot in UK it can also get very humid and your buildings are designed to keep the heat in. One thing worth a try is a dehumidifier which will not alter the temperature of the room but will improve the comfort level for the patient by drying the air which is easier to take.

They are not particularly cheap to buy but I used one for OH at night before we got the air conditioning. He has heart failure and hot and humid conditions are very bad for that.
Dehumidifiers are pretty portable and can be stored away when you don't need them.

Our top temperature last summer was 45 degrees C. We had a string of days when it hovered around 34-36. Exhausting!

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Mum was really terrible tonight when we went in to visit her on the ward - haranguing us and the whole ward on how horrible we were....

She has a UTI - her urine is dark - but the hospital hasn't managed to get a sample so no antibiotics have been issued; she's off the saline drip, but isn't drinking properly and indeed resists when I try to get her to drink.

No more drips can be authorised without a doctor - and a doctor, even though (at my request) asked for, may well not come on a Saturday night.

It is so worrying and upsetting.