Radar key for disabled toilets

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
This is one item I have not yet addressed in relation to mum. Is it worth getting one? I'm not really sure what the 'rules' are about which disabled toilets I might find locked - I assume they would all be public toilets?

Any ideas on who I approach to get one? Thanks.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Absolutely. The disabled access key was invaluable both when I had my mum with vascular dementia and my husband with alzheimers. It's a large key and it opens any disabled access toilet in the uk which uses the radar lock. I found that this was more or less any toilet - motorway service stations, shops, shopping centres etc etc etc.

I bought a few from Amazon so that my brother etc could have one when taking mum or Bill out. I found later that I could have got one free from our council by showing proof that Bill got attendance allowance.

I can't emphasise enough how useful it is. There are no rules if you have the key you can open the toilet. I never found anyone abusing the system by having a key and no disability.

Here are the keys on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...vtargid=kwd-3353514757&ref=pd_sl_4x28vhiqpg_e

This link says a little about the scheme -

https://www.informationnow.org.uk/article/accessible-and-public-toilets/

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Can't comment on Hampshire, but there are public toilets in Clevedon where you need a key to enter the disabled access toilet. I got a radar key from a local shop supplying wheelchairs and such like. Hope that helps.

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi I bought mine on eBay for about £2.its really useful as the disabled toilets have grab rails. There is a list of disabled toilets online I think.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Many thanks all. Just ordered one. One of the selling points in the description was that the key is 'extremely tactile'!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Another good reason to get the key is that all the disabled toilets that I have used with mum are big enough for 2 people so its good if your PWD needs help.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Another good reason to get the key is that all the disabled toilets that I have used with mum are big enough for 2 people so its good if your PWD needs help.

Big enough for 2 people and a wheelchair if necessary!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I've been using disabled toilets with mum for a few years now (since we bought her a rollator, but pre dementia). It's the size that makes the difference in being able to assist the PWD. I know they are designed to accommodate wheelchairs, but the size and equipment is helpful for so many others. I definitely could not get into a small cubicle with mum to help her out these days! I have actually never come across a disabled toilet which has been locked before (hence my original question about the value of obtaining one of these keys), but I guess we tend to frequent garden centre and large store toilets more than 'public toilets' as such. I look forward to testing the system when we are next out and about, but, as I say, I have yet to find a locked loo!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
One that used to amaze me was the loo in our local Debenhams store. It's locked and if you don't have a radar key you have to go and find a shop assistant who will get you the key. No dignity there. I think that's the one that prompted me to get the radar key.

Would you believe the loo in our local continence clinic is locked - but not with a radar key? You have to go to the reception at the other end if the corridor tonget the key. I wrote cand complained about this but nothing changed.

Last edited: