a positive side to care home care

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
I haven't posted for a while. Just dealing with life in general and looking after my lovely Dad. After six years of caring for him, four years since Vascular Dementia diagnosis, things became very difficult with him turning night to day. Phone calls all hours to tell me he was ready to go home, neighbours phoning to say he was outdoors going a walk. Door Exit Alarms fitted and the basic lack of sleep because I knew a call would come and the constant worry he would wander onto main road or into the woods or near the river.
My own little family (husband and two adult children) talked of every possible scenario for Dad's care and safety. Combined with toileting issues, and a very supportive local Social Work dept., it was agreed that his safety was paramount and an urgent placement was sought. Application for SWD funding to supplement his income was granted and before we knew it, we had to select a place. My daughter and I chose a lovely care home in a town 20 minutes from home.

The hardest decision of my life was made easier by the warmth and help we received from the Care Home to transition my Dad into their care. He no longer recognised his own home as his home and I explained to him why he was moving, he understood that he was no longer safe to live on his own. He told me not to cry, he would be fine, and I am pleased to say he has settled in his lovely room, overlooking a walled garden, without any upset whatsoever. It is 10 weeks now, he has never mentioned home, and when we take him out (2/3 times a week} he is always keen to return to his new home. The relief I feel is palpable. He is happy, loves the company and entertainment, and has a good rappore with the staff. Anything at all I suggest or query is acted on immediately. He is well nourished (as good as any restaurant) and has a routine that suits him.

I just wanted to let people know that what you dread as the worst decision ever, can be the best thing for your loved one, and yourself. I visit Dad at least every other day, with my family filling in the days I am not there. I now sleep soundly every night knowing my Dad is safe and being looked after. :)

Caroleca

Jan 11, 2014
Ontario canada
It's really nice to see a positive post about a care home. I'm happy for you and glad that your dad is so content. Mom was in a care home here in Canada for 3 years...it was also a relief for us to have her safe and well looked after.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
It is such a hard situation to adjust to and I'm so glad for you and your Dad that things have gone well. I left my husband in a care home today for two weeks respite and he waved goodbye and gave a salute. It is for ex servicemen and women and brings out his old army training.

We all want to do our best by our loved ones but their vulnerability makes us anxious. Good news is comforting.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Thanks for posting minniemouse. Mum isn't ready for a CH yet, but there are so many bad stories about them that I was dreading it if / when the time comes.

Reading your story has brought things much more into balance. Thank you so much for sharing.

Hugs

Jo xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband also settled very well into his nursing home, Minniemouse, where he was deteriorating so rapidly at home with me, because he was not eating or drinking enough, and was aggressive & refusing personal care. It all changed when he went to the nursing home. He felt safer and more secure I think. I suspect that he somehow knew that I was struggling to cope with his care on my own. He loved having the uniformed male staff to help him, and he loved the dining room, which was set up like a good restaurant. He gained weight. He had physio with the staff physiotherapist a couple of times a week, and company of other residents whenever he wanted it. It wasn't just me, all the time. When the time is right, and you find the right place, a nursing home can be a very positive thing.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
It is such a relief when our pwd settles well into a ch.
I sometimes think that they are probably ready for this move quicker than we, the persons doing or helping with the care at home,are.
If nothing else, they see a variety of different faces with the other residents,care staff,housekeeping,other visitors etc.
It also gives you,the carer,peace of mind,and the ability to sleep !
Ros