Respite care

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Mick had his first overnight stay in the care home last night. I've just phoned and they say he's ok and not been up long. Somewhat guiltily I can say I had a lovely evening. I had told a new friend I've met since we moved here that I used to do English folk dancing and it turned out she belongs to a club here. So she invited me along last night. And I danced for two hours. I had to concentrate as I hadn't done any of the dances before which was ideal. Mick has one more night there and I pick him up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Oh that's wonderful. Almost normal! Now you have started on respite could you do a couple of nights once a month. Or a whole week? John goes in for two weeks next week. It is a care home for ex servicemen and women and very good. He was fine last year so fingers crossed.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Thanks Marion. I can't quite believe how I feel. It really is respite. I hope you enjoy your break and that John is ok x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So glad it went well for you Trisha. It can make all the difference - and crucially, can mean the difference between a person with dementia having to go into full time care a lot sooner than otherwise. If only the powers that be could see that helping carers to access reliable, quality respite care is good for everyone, including the economy, because that's all they understand! :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey