Help and advice needed

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
My husband suffers from dementia. The initial diagnosis was probable Alzheimer's although he didn't 'tick all the boxes'. About 12 months later a blood test resulted him being diagnosed with Voltage-gated potassium channel antibodies. The symptoms are very similar to Alzheimer's, again he didn't 'tick all the boxes'. He underwent treatment and his blood tests are now normal. Unfortunately, my husband isn't.

He suffers with memory loss, although it can be bad at times, it's not severe. His cognitive skills are far worse.

He now doesn't seem to be able to walk properly and walks round holding onto furniture. It's as though his legs can't support him, they did before so I don't know what's changed. Is this a normal, if normal is the right word, or just a progression of his dementia. The other problem now is that he dribbles a lot. Again, is this normal or should I be taking him to the GP?

Any advice, help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
You mention walking, this can be part of dementia/Alzheimer's - their spacial awareness goes, so the floor if it has different colours eg stepping through a threshold from one room to another - it may feel like they are stepping up one step or stepping down. My mum loses her balance all the time, uses the walls in the corridor to judge where to walk/put her foot down. One example is walking from the kitchen into the lounge - kitchen has tiled flooring but lounge has carpets - the colour difference disorientates them.

Now when we go out, I walk her to the car, open the door and settle her in. Again when we stop, I go round and open the door, she can't see the kerb properly so they are a hazard, then I walk arm in arm with her so if there's a possibility of her losing her balance, I'm there to support her.

Unsure about dribbles but more than likely it is also part of the disease.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
Thank you Carerformum your answer makes perfect sense. When we're out my husband uses a rolator last week he walked from the boot of the car to passenger seat without it. There was the tiniest bump in the road and he fell and broke his nose.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I think it's really hard differentiating what is decline because of dementia, additional decline because of an infection, new issues which might be nothing to do with dementia and what could be 'normal' aging. As is so oft repeated everyone's progression is different although there are common features. I have a monthly visit from a nurse from the older people's psychiatric team and I use her as a bit of a sounding board. Sometimes she says to talk things over with the GP, other times not. If something is concerning you (more than the usual concern/worry which is part of our daily routine) it might be worth checking it out with someone medical. Good wishes from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi mum does the same.should use zimma or wheeled walker but tries not to,lots of falls.even in ch when actively encouraged/reminded needs walkers will still fall.
When at home we also noticed her sense of 'size'went. Ie. Would appear to try and 'squeeze' through a large space as it she was too big for it,but then do the opposite and walk into something.
She also miss judged the height of chair seats,beds etc etc. We found it helped for her to hold something before trying to sit down/get up from chairs etc.
Has your husband see occupational health recently? They may be able to assist with rails,zimma for inside etc. When they assessed mums home (before necessity of ch) they advised us on furniture placement to help her - things placed against walls,got rid of some unneeded chairs etc-
Ros

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77