Help with a diplomatic response

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
Hi
My father has Alzheimer's and now in nursing home. He is actually my father in law but we are so close I always refer to him as my dad. I have used this site many a time and have benefited greatly from responses. Tomorrow I will be seeing my brother and sister in law. They don't see dad a lot. In fact my sister in law has never seen him at his nursing home. On the phone earlier my husband and I had to arrange to see them tomorrow at dads house (mum died 11 months ago). I need a bit of advise as on the phone call sister in law said 'I couldn't do what you do'. She said this after I explained that we have lots of issues to sort out with dad e.g. Regular visits or else he will rely on carers, assessment with social workers about deprivation of liberty, looking after his house and solicitor matters. ( that's in a nutshell). All she said on the phone was 'I couldn't do what you do'. She has said this every time we suggest a helping hand. She lives same distance from dad as us. She doesn't work, whereas I work full time as my husband and I have our own business. I know she will say this again tomorrow and I'd like to have a response to that without it sounding bitchy. I'd like to say 'you can but you won't' or 'I have no option because you won't'. My husband doesn't want me to be a smart Alec as says it could cause atmosphere as we have finance to sort out and locking horns isn't helpful. He's right. But I really want a response that I can get away with but will make her think. I know this may sound trivial but I've had 8 years of adapting our lives to my mother and father in laws care and they have done nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm not sure I can be of much help, but felt you need a response!

The "invisibles" arise often on this forum, those who can criticise and give advice, but never get involved! I admit, I'm not sure what the answer is, as it's not something I dealt with, there was no one else in my situation.

Friends told me that they wanted to remember Roger as he was, and I felt like screaming, yes, so do I! But I didn't.

Maybe if she says again "I couldn't do what you do", you should ask her why not. Not a lot of help, I'm sure, but will be interested to know the outcome of your conversation!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
" You'll be surprised what you can do when you have to..... and one day you may have to do it. Would you like to go through the routine with you?";);)...... said with a kind smile of course!!!

Is the SIL your OH's own sister or his brother's wife? Which of them, if either, has the POA? If neither, is there any chance of getting one signed and registered with one or both siblings acting jointly and severally?

Perhaps you and your husband could arrange a few days away and tell SIL that Dad will be expecting a vist from her on day 3, don't tell Dad though in case she develops a mystery ailment.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

When it comes to clearing the family property make it very clear that, without their input, you will dispose of everything as you see fit and in your FIL's interest without further consideration or sentiment as you do not have infinite free time.

Finally, much as you might want or even need their help, you cannot force an invisible to participate........but try to get your OH to take a firmer stance. After all, FIL is their Father.

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
That's a great help because when I daydream and play it over and over again, I also thought I'd say 'why not'. But every time I keep adding 'you have more time then me. You don't work. You never offer help. Get your priorities right etc etc.
I do think just asking 'why not' is the best think to say and that is my plan. I'll message tomorrow for update [emoji6][emoji6]

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
I like the 'we can go through routine with you' also

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
When she says can't do what you do, how about 'that's ok, let's decided what bits you can do,and we will muddle through' try and make it clear you expect them to do some of the caring and other jobs, but you don't expect them to mange everything as of course,they don't have first hand experience-yet. As they become used to doing some of the easier ! Stuff, try and get them to take on more
Maybe have a detailed list of things that have to be done, why,when,how often to help support the conversation
Good luck
Ros
Le
Hi
My father has Alzheimer's and now in nursing home. He is actually my father in law but we are so close I always refer to him as my dad. I have used this site many a time and have benefited greatly from responses. Tomorrow I will be seeing my brother and sister in law. They don't see dad a lot. In fact my sister in law has never seen him at his nursing home. On the phone earlier my husband and I had to arrange to see them tomorrow at dads house (mum died 11 months ago). I need a bit of advise as on the phone call sister in law said 'I couldn't do what you do'. She said this after I explained that we have lots of issues to sort out with dad e.g. Regular visits or else he will rely on carers, assessment with social workers about deprivation of liberty, looking after his house and solicitor matters. ( that's in a nutshell). All she said on the phone was 'I couldn't do what you do'. She has said this every time we suggest a helping hand. She lives same distance from dad as us. She doesn't work, whereas I work full time as my husband and I have our own business. I know she will say this again tomorrow and I'd like to have a response to that without it sounding bitchy. I'd like to say 'you can but you won't' or 'I have no option because you won't'. My husband doesn't want me to be a smart Alec as says it could cause atmosphere as we have finance to sort out and locking horns isn't helpful. He's right. But I really want a response that I can get away with but will make her think. I know this may sound trivial but I've had 8 years of adapting our lives to my mother and father in laws care and they have done nothing.

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
She did indeed say 'I couldn't do what you do' and I said, 'what other option have I got'. She then said 'I couldn't possibly have the time spare that you have'. I said, 'where there's a will there's a way, we just had to adapt as he relies on us, and who else is going to help him'. She then said, 'you need to pull back as he isn't your responsibility after all'. And I said, 'he is, he is our dad and we manage by prioritising between us, wouldn't have it any other way'. I asked if they had been to see him in nursing home and was told 'no', just can't find the time'. ...... isn't that depressing????

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Well done for tackling her....it must have been the most difficult thing to negotiate without falling out. She now knows you know she isn't pulling her weight....it will be up to her to change now. At the very least she should stop saying "I couldn't do what you do"

Perhaps it will be the truth next time: "I don't want to do what you do"

I wish I was as brave as you....or as diplomatic.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
People differ in their attitudes to caring responsibilities. I suppose it depends on love and conscience and whether or not both or either are present.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
"If you need something doing, ask a busy woman."

Diplomatic enough?

Bod

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
My favourite saying BOD is 'if you need something done, ask a busy woman'!!!

Ladytuck

Mar 6, 2017
Hi
I really need advice. For the last 2 years we have been there when firstly our mother (91) became ill and had Alzheimer's and sadly passed away last year. She had a bleed to the brain and spent 3 months in hospital until eventually they insisted she went to nursing home. She spent 6 months there before finally passing. Then we had no option but to put our father (94) in care home as although we tried for 6 months to keep him at his own home ( we fed him every day etc), we got worried it was dangerous for him and reluctantly put him in care home. ( if our house had been bigger we would have had him). We pay £5200 per month. Last week I had info come to light that he should have had an assessment from council which could mean that he should receive funding for this ( without means testing). Can anyone help point me in the right direction for advise. Many thanks.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
You will get much better advice from people who have been through this I'm sure (I haven't yet) but Age Concern come to mind or a financial adviser.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Ladytuck

I doubt there is any financial assessment for residential care which isn`t means tested.

When you say you are paying for your father`s care , is the money coming from your personal account or from your father`s account? You can not be held responsible for your father`s care.

Does your father still have a house in his name? If so that is where the care home costs need to come from if he doesn`t have enough in savings.

The Alzheimer`s Society National Dementia Helpline will be able to give you more accurate advice.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...434462.14022414.1495436574-4012989.1474725286

You can contact our helpline by calling 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm