Use of 'Alternative Remedies' for anxiety?

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I was wondering if anyone has had any success in using alternative/herbal/natural remedies for anxiety in their PWD? I've been doing a bit of research about how Lorazepam works on the brain and it seems there are alternative remedies out there which might have the same effect (or might not!).

The effect Lorazepam has on my mum is impossible to ignore, it makes such a big difference, not just for me and our carer, but for mum too - it makes her happy, calm, removes all her anxiety (which causes huge problems) and she even starts making more sense with her conversation and is more logical with her thinking. I know I'm not making it up as the carer is witness to this!

I've booked to see her GP to see if there's anything else worth trying which might have similar results, but which can be taken longer term, and more safely. I think anything which gives mum these really good days has got to be worth considering, even if the effect is just temporary at this stage in her dementia, and even if it comes with possible side effects. Of course he may say that without trying a list of meds, no one will know, and he may say that Lorazepam is the only option, but it can't hurt to ask.

I am probably clutching at straws, but can't ignore what an improvement there is in my mum after she takes this drug. I've considered seeing a Herbalist so anything 'alternative' can be tried safely, but will talk to the GP first.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
If you go for a herbalist, try and find a qualified medical herbalist, who will know about drug interactions. I take medication daily to help prevent migraines, and there are some alternative remedies I can't take with those, and when I do get a migraine, I take tablets for them and there are other herbs and alternative remedies I can't take with those.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The problem as I see it is that if a "herbal remedy" works it's still a drug (otherwise it wouldn't work). But less well regulated.

If the lorazepam works, I'm not sure why you would wish to try something else.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I don't have specific advice, but hope you will find something that works. I did want to say to please be sure to let the GP know about anything your mother takes, including herbal remedies, vitamins, supplements, over the counter medications, and so forth. Even vitamins, or OTC meds that are fine for most of us, can have side effects and drug interactions in patients with dementia. Herbal remedies are still chemicals and while I'm not sure how it works in the UK, in the States there has been information in the media about strength and dosage not always being regulated from one brand to another, or indeed within the same brands. I'd definitely consult both the doctor and your pharmacist for their advice.

Marnie, I'm sure you know all that, but I thought it worth mentioning for the benefit of anyone reading. (I was recently surprised when my mother's doctor recommended she come off some of the vitamins and over the counter meds she has been on for years, as they may be making some of her dementia symptoms worse.)

I do know how difficult it can be to get the medications correct, and that they often have to be readjusted and re-evaluated. My mother also suffered from crushing, debilitating, unrelenting anxiety, and it was horrible. The lorazepam didn't work for her (she was still anxious and her sleep patterns were worse when she took it, which I wouldn't have believed possible) but they did finally manage to work out a medication list/schedule that did work for her. Getting the meds straightened out, and going into the care home, decreased her anxiety significantly, but she really needed the 24/7 company to feel less anxious. Left alone for any amount of time (even less than a minute), the anxiety returns. That may, of course, not be the case for your mother.

I hope you can find something that helps. Best wishes.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
The problem as I see it is that if a "herbal remedy" works it's still a drug (otherwise it wouldn't work). But less well regulated.

If the lorazepam works, I'm not sure why you would wish to try something else.

I would be happy to give mum the Lorazepam regularly to get the effect which it creates, but have been told I can only use it as needed, so therefore not regularly. I understand it is addictive and also the body adapts, so you have to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect. I think the recommendation is to use for a max of 4 weeks only. Even a very small dose, although excellent for mum's anxiety, makes her very sleepy after a while. Also, the 'payback' is that the following day, she's much grumpier and anxious, but by the third day, is back to 'normal'. I'm nervous of trying my own routine with the drug, which is why I want to discuss with the GP. It may be that he suggests something which was tried before, like an anti-depressant (she's not depressed, but I understand they can help with the anxiety as well), or one of the so called 'Z' drugs. I think she was on Zopiclone once.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
If you go for a herbalist, try and find a qualified medical herbalist, who will know about drug interactions. I take medication daily to help prevent migraines, and there are some alternative remedies I can't take with those, and when I do get a migraine, I take tablets for them and there are other herbs and alternative remedies I can't take with those.

I have actually found a herbalist locally who has a 'conventional' medical background, which sounds promising! I've seen loads of herbal things on line, but there's no way I'm going to give mum an unknown without understanding the consequences. I guess what I want is something that acts like the Lorazepam does, but doesn't make her so sleepy (risk of falls) and which can be taken regularly. Even if the effect isn't quite as strong as that of the Lorazepam, even if it just took the edge off her anxiety a bit, it would be worth it. Apart from me finding a less anxious mother easier to care for, it's for her benefit too. Her world must be so frightening right now as she's constantly scared. It's horrible to see, it must be terrible for her.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
Since my husband's reaction to any prescribed medicine was negative, I referred him to a registered homeopath. I can thankfully say that the homeopathic remedies actually worked for us.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Since my husband's reaction to any prescribed medicine was negative, I referred him to a registered homeopath. I can thankfully say that the homeopathic remedies actually worked for us.

I never thought of homeopathy. Was it beneficial for anxiety?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William had studied herbs and always promoted the use of herbs for healing. He had actually, in his 30's, been confined to a wheelchair with rheumatoid arthritis, and was cured by a medical herbalist in Central America (a German man, I think). But William was so very enthusiastic about herbal medicine, he would often insist that "natural" remedies couldn't hurt you " like the poisons the doctors give you"! I had to keep reminding him that if it didn't have the potential to do harm, then it didn't have the potential to heal either. To work, it had to have a changing effect in the body.
Which is why it's so important to find someone who is qualified. But if you can find someone, I'd say it's worth talking to them.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Mum's roots are in Eastern Europe and I remember when I was very young there were various dried flowers stored around the house! She often told stories of how they used plants to treat ailments when she was young and also other things like animal parts! Some of it may have been 'old wives' tales', but I'm sure a lot of it was genuine. It's a shame that some of that old knowledge has been lost.

About 15 years ago mum had terrible problems with her legs, they were swelling and then the skin was breaking and weeping. We saw various doctors here and all they could prescribe were compression stockings. Nothing worked until she made a trip to visit her relatives and after two weeks she came back, with completely healed legs. She had been prescribed something not available here - a herbal based tablet to treat varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency. I went to the GP and he told me it wasn't licenced here. I still buy it on line from a European pharmacy and mum's legs are still in good order. This supports my belief that there's definitely a place for 'alternative' treatments'!

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Possibly based on horse chestnut? I know that is good for varicose veins. I've forgotten so much that I used to know about herbs!

After a sleepless night last night, I've been drinking lemon balm (Melissa) tea this evening.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I have an old book, Magic of Herbs, it's from the 70s I think. It's fascinating. Personally I think nothing ventured, nothing gained. I myself would rather dose myself with a few leaves/herbs etc that are "natural" and with centuries of use behind them than with Globalist pharmaceutical manufactured drugs.
Having said that, hypocritically, I am happy for Mum's NH to administer whatever they think is best for her.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Many modern medicines came from original plant based remedies that were used for centuries. Digitalis is now produced synthetically but came from foxglove and was known to be used by 'white' witches to treat their patients.

But I wouldn't want to take it without medical advice. St. John's Wort is known to interfere with some other drugs so I guess so long as your GP is happy, anything is worth a try. That includes other prescribed drugs as well as herbal remedies.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Many modern medicines came from original plant based remedies that were used for centuries. Digitalis is now produced synthetically but came from foxglove and was known to be used by 'white' witches to treat their patients.

But I wouldn't want to take it without medical advice. St. John's Wort is known to interfere with some other drugs so I guess so long as your GP is happy, anything is worth a try. That includes other prescribed drugs as well as herbal remedies.
St. John's Wort is an anti depressant, and (if I'm remembering correctly) shouldn't be taken with other anti depressants. It also shouldn't be taken with heart medication, sedatives such as diazepam (valium) or xanax, because it can increase the body's reaction to those, migraine medications, and various others. It can also interfere with the contraceptive pill and with asthma medications, making them less effective. Which is why you should always tell your doctor/pharmacist if you are taking OTC medications or herbal remedies. St. John's Wort is only available here on prescription, for this reason.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
I never thought of homeopathy. Was it beneficial for anxiety?

Sorry I'm getting a bit late here.
Yes, it definitely did help with his anxiety.. I would give him the meds as soon as I felt his mood was changing and it calmed him down. The effect was practically immediate and there were no side effects.

IslandEternal

Account Closed
Apr 19, 2017
Alternative Remedies for Anxiety

Hi,

I don't know what are the herbal alternatives for anxiety but I know few things that could help you at least in a natural way.

You may try YOGA this is a combination of physical posture, breathing exercises and meditation.

Acupuncture could also help.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Sorry I'm getting a bit late here.
Yes, it definitely did help with his anxiety.. I would give him the meds as soon as I felt his mood was changing and it calmed him down. The effect was practically immediate and there were no side effects.

Hi caqqufa - would you be happy to share details of what it was that helped? Thanks.