Incontinence - How long?

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
My husband has Alzheimer's, is in his 60's and is incontinent.

I wonder how long this problem will go on for and often wish it was a phase that will pass. This has been going on for several months. He has 3 changes of pull ups per day and a bath each day. Feeling very sorry for him but it doesn't seem to both him a lot at least he doesn't show it does. It does affect me as I worry about leakage when he is out and don't like the thought of any urine getting on to fabrics or carpets. Do my best so this doesn't happen but it doesn't make me feel great.

I don't want to wish time away but the incontinence and certain other irritations feels draining to me and I think how long do we live like this. Hope I won't ever get the problem as my life coping with my husband and other difficulties has been enough. I also feel guilty thinking like this as hope he won't get more ill so each stage I feel I should just put up with it and grin and bear it. Life feels a bit grim because of the incontinence as find it a bit hard to keep my spirits up. I think a lot of my husband but don't like the symptoms, hard to live with someone when feeling like this.

Reds

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Chances are if he has forgotten the association of 'full bladder' and the ability to 'point Peter at the porcelain ' chances are he wont regain it, sadly.

Its will quite likely progress to no 2's at some point as well.

Its hard, just d your best and don't get too upset about it

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I know how you feel about urine transference, although mum is wearing pull ups and a filler pad which is changed around midnight, I still find in the morning that she has just a little damp on her pj's and of course then the sheet although not wet will have had contact, so all change.

When all this started as a little problem, I bought 2 pairs of the washable incontinence pants and they worked well, but it was not long before we needed more protection. When we go out I still put the washable ones on top of disposable just to deal with any leaks, bit embarrassing if this happens in someone's house.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but incontinence in someone with dementia doesn't usually get better ever, it gets worse because the brain doesn't send the necessary signals anymore. It's important to have absorbent inco pads and change them often enough, get waterproof sheets and Kylie sheets and maintain personal hygiene, watching out for skin problems.

And yes, it's stressful. It's the one thing, if I had the power to change about his illness, I would. All the washing, making the bed fresh every day, clothes changes, poo clean ups, inco pad acquisitions... It never ends.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I'm glad others have said the same as what I wanted to say but didn't want to frighten you.

Unfortunately once a skill / memory of doing something is lost, it is unfortunately lost and the downward progression is always downward. As said by Jessbow it will progress to double-incontinence and at some stage he may not even remember that a bathroom is the place to go.
My Mum once pulled her pants down in the middle of the kitchen and went on the floor.:eek: Ditto with No 2s and the carpet. That's usually the point at which many carers decide they just need to look at a Home. You're right it is distressing to watch and does get one down. Even more when every day you are washing bedding, chair covers etc as well as clothes.
You can buy fabric covered pads with plastic inside to cover car seats/chairs etc. Most Homes have them on every chair, the problem is so common.

So yes you need to do all the things Beate has suggested.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Sadly in my case anyway, PWD's do not regain control of their incontinence, we can only adjust the daily routine. My husband has been doubly incontinent for a couple of years or so. I have managed to keep the chair and carpet free from urine or other accidents.

I bought Kyle and similar washable bed sheets with flaps. I place one length way from the top of the chair down under his bottom. I keep it in place with lengths of wide masking tape, approx. 15 inches long, 6 inches on the sheet the rest on the chair back to secure it. With another across the chair, arm to arm, no masking tape. If there is an accident I can just remove the one from to arm one and replace it. When I hoist him up to change him, I use disposable plastic bed sheets, with flaps, between his legs, also length way (to avoid any water wetting his trousers,) laying on the floor, in case he does anything else.

I use a pad inside a slip, T shape diaper type, pad, and change him every 3 hours, usually just the inner pad, the same at night. usually I manage to get dry sheets in the morning. He has plenty of drinks during the day, but, nothing after dinner 5pm, except his crushed pills in about 2 inches of water.

I hope you manage to find a solution for you.

Last edited: