Do you have experience with Antidepressants for stress-caused anxiety?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My mother has been in a dementia care home for 5 months. 4 months ago she was started on memantine & that seemed to help her to remember how to go to the loo & do other things & also it calmed her aggression.

But she was still depressed & sometimes anxious and about 2 months ago she was put on citalopram - sorry, I don't know the dosage - and it has made all the difference. She now seems serene & content & since it started to take effect, all my visits have been 'good days'.

I don't know what effect it would have on someone who was a carer rather than someone with dementia, but it's certainly been helpful for my Mum. She is 96.

Yes, my mum thought she would have to give up being a carer for the one to two weeks of trying out a new antidepressant for side effects.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Presumably the GP is aware of the sleep medication?

Could 3x the normal dose not have caused the dizziness?

Seems a bit of an extreme reaction to something that in most people takes 2-4 weeks to have any effect at all

She's unable to have even a cup of non-decaff. Very sensitive to stimulants! and weighs less than 90lbs.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think the chance of her being admitted to hospital to be introduced to an anti-depressant are almost nil.
Booking them both into a nursing home for a month might ensure the supervision for your mother and care for you father.
they might even like it and want to stay

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
What a shame, after so many positive responses, that your mother should have such a bad experience with her first dose.

There are several other varieties of antidepressants of different formulations, one of which might suit her better.

If however there is no successful outcome, then more help to relieve her caring burden and thus possibly reduce her anxieties might be the next step necessary.

Thanks for being sympathetic. She is not meant for SSRIs I guess. Yes, if the burdens were less...

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I am sad that she had such a bad reaction.

Not all antidepressants are SSRIs! only the newer ones.

You asked if I got insomnia with my depression - no, I slept more because I felt tired. I don't think any medication affected my sleep.

Margaret59

Apr 4, 2017
Yorkshire
My OH has been prescribed Citalopram for anxiety. We are still awaiting official diagnosis but it looks like he may have vascular dementia. Citalopram has made a big difference for him. To my knowledge it is non addictive. However as with most medication of this type you normally do not just stop taking it without the doctors say so.
Everyone reacts to medication differently. For some it works and for others it may not. The same with side effects. I was on Prozac years ago and felt awful whilst I was trying to come off it.
If the doctor has recommended Citalopram then there's no harm in your Mum trying it, even if she is elderly. Better that than be stressed out and making herself ill.
Margaret x