Symptoms

Dawney

May 10, 2017
Is it normal for dementia sufferes to complain of their heads being"hot" dont know how to deal with this new symptom

InElysium

Mar 14, 2011
Hi, my Dad does complain about being too hot but there are days when he can say he is cold when it is 20c so it's difficult to say. Having said that, he does also blames my mum watching TV causing him to be too hot because the TV is on! However contradicts that on other occasions when the TV is on but he complains he's cold.

It could be related to something else though, has he had any blood tests done to rule out thyroid or something else?

Is it normal for dementia sufferes to complain of their heads being"hot" dont know how to deal with this new symptom

Daisy Duck

Sep 13, 2013
Maybe the person has forgotten the word to describe what they are feeling and 'hot' really means something else. My Mum sometimes says she can't go into the toilet because it is 'dirty' but when I turn the light on for her, she happily enters. I think she's forgotten the word 'dark'.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent

A few years before my wife started showing the signs of dementia,she started complaining that it felt like her head was burning. Our GP did various tests etc and we never did get to the bottom of it.

I thought at the time that it may be due to the hair colour she was using, so we tried various brands to see if things improved, but to no avail.

Now diagnosed with FTD (and no longer getting the sensations), I often wonder if the hair dyes could have had anything to do with getting the condition (though I am sure the companies would vehemently argue against this theory).

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
On the subject of hair dye. My SIL who cannot read more than basic words as well as being profoundly deaf and unable to speak used hair dye regularly. She had a bad rash across her face and a swollen nose and I was suspicious that it increased every time she had a fresh hair colour. I poked about in her bathroom and found that she was using the colouring three times but the mixture once combined was having a chemical reaction so that by the time she used it for the second and third time it was seriously dangerous. It should have been used only once and any remainder thrown away.

She is very tightfisted and not at all pleased with me insisting on a fresh colour each time. In fact she stopped using hair dye and is silver which suits her better but I do wonder if other people damage themselves with the same idea.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Similar to Daisy Duck my husband says its gone cold when I turn the bedroom light off - he means its gone dark but muddles the words up. Difficult - we could do with being mind readers!

NatB123

Aug 2, 2016
Nottingham
My Nan uses the word Dizzy a lot. If someone, such as the doctor or a friend asks her a question that she is unsure of the answer to she'll tell them she feels dizzy, they are dizzy, I am dizzy, her pet bird is dizzy. I haven't quite got to the bottom of the word that she is replacing with dizzy but she 100% isn't saying that is how she feels as she never uses it in the correct context, it is as though, like some of the others, she means a word but cant remember it so replaces it with dizzy.

Dawney

May 10, 2017
Hot heads

She also complains that things feel damp and wet when clothes or bedding is just cold to the touch and I catch her hanging back up washing I have had out or ironing that just needs putting away, has anyone else experienced this?

carlton ann

Feb 13, 2016
Yep, cold fabric is actually wet in mum's mind.
When she was still in her own property she had washing on the clothes horse for a week at a time, got it warm n dry in the day then would not take it down then leave it overnight to fold it in the morning but by morning it was cold again, think it only lasted a week because she only had 1 clothes horse.
The property was cold and damp so every time she went to the loo she would be convinced on her return to the warm rooms that she had wet herself.
In the care home she is still convinced that tumble drying her clothes doesn't dry them so drapes them on radiators and constantly asks if her underwear is wet